Ocean water temperatures off San Diego break all time records (article)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ocean water temperatures off San Diego break all time records (article)

Post by rlown »

Most of our Kelp along the Sonoma coast was lost due to the rise in purple urchins, which came after the abalone die-off, which was probably toxin in the water.
According to DFG biologists, these abalone deaths coincided with a local red tide bloom (or phytoplankton bloom) and calm ocean conditions. Although the exact reasons for the abalone deaths are not known, invertebrate die-offs have occurred in the past along the northern California coast when similar weather and bloom conditions existed. The August red tide, a natural occurrence caused by an upswell of nutrient-rich cold water, is said to have been the worst in three decades. One diver reports seeing “hundreds and hundreds of out-of-the shell abalone out on the rocks,” unlike anything he’d ever seen.
They organized a group to pick out as many purples as they could with a 20 gallon limit. They were summarily crushed with a tamper in the buckets and used for fertilizer.

I like the reds so no biggie.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I was curious about summer averages around that time based on the fish migratory anomaly of the time. Not trying to tease out non-existing info.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Jimr wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:05 pm I was curious about summer averages around that time based on the fish migratory anomaly of the time. Not trying to tease out non-existing info.
Yes, I understood that. Maybe I was wrong to assume it would show up in the daily temperature plot

I think that in general an El Niño does raise the surface sea temperatures along the California coast. But the effect of any given El Niño isn't necessarily typical. And it's likely that the fish are driven by factors other than the local temperature.

Here's a plot that gives a different view of the long term change:

By the way, do you know what El Niño translates to in English?

Answer: The Niño
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Dave: Another camping option would be to check out a spot at one of the many Lower Santa Ynez area campgrounds then come over the hill into SB for the day via San Marcos Pass. All the State Parks and Jalama are booked weeks in advance.

Any discussion of El Nino goes over my head quickly but I seem to recall the local warmup has nothing to do with that. Our warm water episode starts at Point C and heads south all the way down the Baja P and out to sea several hundred miles. Interesting how Point Conception is such a meteorologic boundary in so many ways! I think all the interest is in the western pacific now and how an MJO is transitioning into the positive phase and what that might mean for the fall months ahead. For those that are interested and have the time to watch this discussion, the 2nd part is devoted to the MJO and El Nino forecasts and how they both get started. The first half deals with storm forcasting in the north and South Pacific and the swell generation possibilities of those storms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcF35J9 ... tu.be&hd=1
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

freestone wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm Dave: Another camping option would be to check out a spot at one of the many Lower Santa Ynez area campgrounds
Dude, do you have something against Dave? Did he steal a parking spot from you? How else would you suggest/recommend SY during the summer? Aye carumba, incineration city.

The only way to get a prime beach front camping spot is to jump on a cancellation. It's the Pareto principle: 80% of the availability is from 20% of the reservations that cancel at any point. We're (actually my wife) sort of experts at this - most cancels occur on Thurs when you can receive a full refund, less the $8 for the res fee.

The pic Jim posted above was from Doheny last month in July. He was coming down to our place, but my wife grabbed a last minute cancellation, so we moved the party to Doheny. Prime beachfront - the way it works the first time around (ie 6 months in advance) is to gather around 3-4 family/friends, have everyone logged in, and then everyone pounds the reservation site at the same time to see if anyone can get through.

Problem is, there's **always** something that comes up for someone - I mean, we're taking 6 months in advance. So, you lurk starting Mon/Tues, and jump Thurs when the inevitable cancellations occur. It's even better if you're on the road, because the res site stops accepting reservations 24 hrs before. So, if you drive up the day, many times you can grab an empty. And the real play is to get a handicapped - these are never taken, and the parks will sometimes let them go the very night you want to stay.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Hobbes wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:18 pm
freestone wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm Dave: Another camping option would be to check out a spot at one of the many Lower Santa Ynez area campgrounds
Dude, do you have something against Dave? Did he steal a parking spot from you? How else would you suggest/recommend SY during the summer? Aye carumba, incineration city.

Hobbes, he's going to be at the beach all day....remember? It's not like Death Valley! He can enjoy blissful Los Padres nights (after the heat and gnats subside, of course) :lol:

Seriously hard to be spontaneous these days with the whole south coast booked months in advance but I do admire the savviness to make it happen!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I hoping that the raised water temp hold on until mid October as My wife and I are taking the land yacht to HB for a week.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

freestone wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pmSeriously hard to be spontaneous these days with the whole south coast booked months in advance but I do admire the savviness to make it happen!
We're from the same general era. While Calif's population has doubled in the last 35-40 years, how many new fed/state parks have been created?

The days of just deciding to go & showing up are long over - that was our youth. This present reality is what drives so many people to cash out their equity and move. OTOH, there are others - such as myself - who are completely dug in and are willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

Think about the next generations who will experience the state's population doubling once again over their adulthood years. We think 40m is crowded, but how about 80m? To make it happen in those conditions, you're gonna really want it.

I've been training my (19yo) son on how to work the angles. He scored huge Malibu last month knowing where to spend the night and grab a parking spot. (5am and it was already a scene on the PCH.) The hard work paid off - here he is @ 1:02 (red board out back):

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/cam- ... 2018/30877
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Hobbes wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 pm
freestone wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pmSeriously hard to be spontaneous these days with the whole south coast booked months in advance but I do admire the savviness to make it happen!
I've been training my (19yo) son on how to work the angles. He scored huge Malibu last month knowing where to spend the night and grab a parking spot. (5am and it was already a scene on the PCH.) The hard work paid off - here he is @ 1:02 (red board out back):

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/cam- ... 2018/30877
@Hobbes: Nice clip of your son shredding, damn the crowds! I never imagined that the number of parking spaces would be a leveling factor to limit the lineup (the "lineup" a whole other topic!) or any other recreational activity in California, including trailheads, but that seems to be what's happening, Regardless, California rocks and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon either. Take 100 paces off the JMT and you will not see a soul for days.

@MoutainMinstrel: According to Longi's Scripts chart, Water temps reliably peak in August then start cooling, so by October it will be in the low 60s again but that can be "refreshing" if we are having a heatwave then.

@SSS Dave: No worries on white skin these days, its very acceptable on this beach as well as all sorts of body types and shapes young or old, two legs or four.

Surfing these little guys (below) is like catching Small Goldens in the High Sierra. The faces are only 3 foot but they are unraveling top to bottom. Sorry for getting so far off topic but the warm water and calm glassy conditions have been so enjoyable!

Taken at AB Beach yesterday while Malibu was overhead+. Please note the convexity of the wave face going both ways.

@Hobbes again: Funny you should mention the famous model Cathy Ireland. I worked with her HS best friend and she was always talking about going to that beach and turning heads! Another frequent visitor to Arroyo Burro was the late Stephen Hawking. He and his entourage would appear just before sunset for the twilight light show caused by the setting sun reflecting on the water with the Channel Islands in the background. I think he liked to visit UCSB quite often in the summer.