Advice needed: Shepherd Pass to Kaweah Basin and Milestone

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice needed: Shepherd Pass to Kaweah Basin and Milestone

Post by Captain Slappy »

I'm still on course to do this later this week, and I have some extra time now so I'm looking at possibly going over Pyra Queen Col. I've been reviewing the trip reports on HST and elsewhere to get info on PQC. The one thing I cannot figure out is whether the East-West ridge crossing is the "notch" itself or further south.

There are pics here and some discussion of the crossing point here: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 31&t=10709

There are also pics under Day 8 here: http://www.tumtum.com/climbing/trips/Si ... art2.shtml

I
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice needed: Shepherd Pass to Kaweah Basin and Milesto

Post by kursavwilage »

maverick wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 am Why not go over Milestone Pass and into Milestone Bowl and Gallats Meadow (one of the prettiest meadows in the Sierra), much more scenic then heading down the trail to dusty and dry Junction Meadow.
I have to agree with Maverick, especially if you are intending to go into the Milestone Creek area. Milestone Pass , although 12,960', is a cool pass and the views are amazing.....
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

Captain Slappy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:48 pm I'm still on course to do this later this week, and I have some extra time now so I'm looking at possibly going over Pyra Queen Col. I've been reviewing the trip reports on HST and elsewhere to get info on PQC. The one thing I cannot figure out is whether the East-West ridge crossing is the "notch" itself or further south.
I did Pyra Queen Col back in the 80s and the "nothch is not the crossing. The crossing is to the left of the "notch" and becomes pretty obvious the closer you get to it
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I've been up and down the outlet stream from Kaweah Basin and found it to be no big deal. I don't remember using my hands.