Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by richlong8 »

SirBC wrote:I headed in over Mono Pass on Sunday morning and setup in Pioneer Basin at Mud Lake. The next morning I moved up to the eastern lake 10915. After I had dinner I started getting a headache that worsened over the next few hours and became extremely painful. I was a bit freaked out because I didn't think I would be able to hike out the way I came in if the pain was that bad in the morning. By morning it was a lot better but the headache was still there, just at a much reduced level. I dropped down to mono creek and hung out for a bit and after a while decided to just push through and hike out. Everyone I passed that was hiking in said a storm was coming (as it had every day for the past week) and when I hit Trail Lakes the sky looked ominous. I setup my tent there to wait it out. The storm never hit and I ended up staying the night and hiking out in the morning.

The thing is, I have had a low grade headache ever since so I don't think it was AMS. If it's still there on Monday I'm going to see my doc. I'm supposed to be heading back up to LLV with my wife next weekend but if I still have a headache we'll probably have to cancel.

Super bummed I (again) missed the meetup. I hope you guys had a great time, looking forward to seeing the photos. I will write-up my abbreviated TR as I did have a great time other than the headache.
Sorry to hear you had to bailout, but it sounds like you made the smart move. High altitude is not the place to be when a person has these symptoms, in my opinion. Let us know how it works out.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Jimr, Oleander, Sorry I missed you guys at Tuesday @ Upper Mills Creek Lake on the way to the Meetup. I kept looking towards Gabbot for people that might be crossing the pass on Tuesday afternoon. From your post, it is easy to see why., Perhaps someday I will meet you in person and get to see your fishing acumen in action!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

sekihiker wrote:
Rockyroad wrote:I also want to say it was an honor to hike with SekiHiker from Laurel Lake to Grinnell Lake and grateful of the geologic and botanical information he shared.
Thanks for posting the pictures, Rockyroad. The honor was mine to spend some time getting to know a fellow Topix member face to face. You picked a great route up from Laurel Lake.
I've been wanting to go to a meetup for years and this turned out to be a great location with a chance to get to know some others in the forum. It was a shame that storms kept some of us away.
Sekihiker, it was a pleasure to meet you in person at the Meetup, and I will make it a point to meetup with you in Fresno/Clovis sometime in the near future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sekihiker, it was a pleasure to meet you in person at the Meetup, and I will make it a point to meetup with you in Fresno/Clovis sometime in the near future.
:thumbsup:
This is what the Meet-ups are all about, forging long-term friendships with fellow Sierra enthusiasts! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Hopefully, those who wanted to but weren't able to attend could make it out next year. I was especially disappointed to have missed Oleander and the chance to meet Jimr and Ghost and hike out with them. I considered staying at BigMcGee the last evening in case they were just a day behind but thought the odds were slim.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

richlong8 wrote:
SirBC wrote:I headed in over Mono Pass on Sunday morning and setup in Pioneer Basin at Mud Lake. The next morning I moved up to the eastern lake 10915. After I had dinner I started getting a headache that worsened over the next few hours and became extremely painful. I was a bit freaked out because I didn't think I would be able to hike out the way I came in if the pain was that bad in the morning. By morning it was a lot better but the headache was still there, just at a much reduced level. I dropped down to mono creek and hung out for a bit and after a while decided to just push through and hike out. Everyone I passed that was hiking in said a storm was coming (as it had every day for the past week) and when I hit Trail Lakes the sky looked ominous. I setup my tent there to wait it out. The storm never hit and I ended up staying the night and hiking out in the morning.

The thing is, I have had a low grade headache ever since so I don't think it was AMS. If it's still there on Monday I'm going to see my doc. I'm supposed to be heading back up to LLV with my wife next weekend but if I still have a headache we'll probably have to cancel.

Super bummed I (again) missed the meetup. I hope you guys had a great time, looking forward to seeing the photos. I will write-up my abbreviated TR as I did have a great time other than the headache.
Sorry to hear you had to bailout, but it sounds like you made the smart move. High altitude is not the place to be when a person has these symptoms, in my opinion. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks, my headache went away after a few days so I don't think it was altitude related after all.
-------------
Dave | flickr
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

richlong8 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 am Sekihiker, it was a pleasure to meet you in person at the Meetup, and I will make it a point to meetup with you in Fresno/Clovis sometime in the near future.
Just got back from five days in the Spanish Mountain area. It's really dry out there.

Rich - I'm looking forward to your call next time you're in town.