Kauai: 6/5-6/8

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kauai: 6/5-6/8

Post by jeremiahkim »

Found ourselves on Kauai for a work/play trip. Many of the more popular attractions (Wailua River and Na Pali coast) were closed due to recent flooding but found plenty else to do.
DSC05545.JPG
Hiked through clouds for most of the trail which made for some pretty surreal scenery.
IMG_9139.JPG
Clouds cleared just long enough to sit at Lolo Point and eat some spam musubi for lunch.
IMG_9146.JPG
Loved the deep color of the clay.
IMG_9051.JPG
Caught a half-day trip and picked at some small yellowfin and skipjack. Threw a bunch of different lures and flies at them and had three fish on a handful of times. Fishing regulations and practices are quite different than what I'm used to in So Cal and was surprised to release a few of the smaller ones as soon as they hit the deck. Fish weren't out of the water too long, no visible signs of bleeding or foul hooks, and the deck hand knew what he was doing. That being said, never thought I would be catching and releasing tuna.
IMG_9057.JPG
Hit a few skipjack and these little guys fought as hard as the larger yellowtail. According to the crew, skipjack are the liveliest on the line and definitely felt it reeling them in on a spinner set up (they hard large baitcaster reels but we also used a small spinner once we got on the smaller fish).
33225655_179263926119659_4608808613677367296_n.jpg
In Hawaii it common practice for the crew to keep most of the fish (if large enough) to take to market. Since we weren't cooking, it wasn't too big of a deal but did bring two fillets worth to make some poke in the hotel room. Bought a $12 chefs knife at Safeway, ponzu, nori furikake, and wasabi and had a very tasty four ingredient poke in our hands.

Did our share of beach sampling, tropical drink drinking, and local dining as well. Felt too short, but just another place to look forward to visiting again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Kauai: 6/5-6/8

Post by rlown »

nicely done!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Thanks for the nice report.

I'll be in Kauai during the first week of October and your report has inspired me.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures! To bad about the closure along the Na Pali coast.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Nice report. Thanks for posting. At least you got away from the wildfires for a few days.
xcountry rider
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by xcountry rider »

Nice report and pictures! I love the hotel room Poke. We were there in Dec 2014. Going back in 2019 can't wait. We did a day hike of the Na Pali coast. We were supposed to backpack it but I wasn't feeling well enough. Maybe out next trip.