June Lake Loop Closed Due To Mudslide 7/31 (Re-opened)

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

June Lake Loop Closed Due To Mudslide 7/31 (Re-opened)

Post by maverick »

Mono Co. Sheriff's Dept:
SR 158 (June Lake Loop) is closed due to a mudslide between Silver Lake and Grant Lake. The official closure location is between 7.3 miles to 7.4 miles south of the north junction of SR 158 & 395. SR 158 will remain closed overnight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

8/1 Update

Post by maverick »

Mono Co. Sheriff's Dept:
STATE ROUTE 158 (JUNE LAKE LOOP) ROAD CLOSED
BETWEEN SILVER AND GRANT LAKES

June Lake – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) would like to inform the traveling public that the closure of State Route 158 (SR-158) (June Lake Loop) between Silver and Grant Lakes, will remain in place with no estimated date of reopening. The June Lake area is still accessible from U.S Hwy 395 to the slide, but through passage around the loop is not available.

The Reno National Weather Service (NWS-Reno) has partnered with Caltrans to ‘spot report’ on the upcoming weather in June Lake during the cleanup efforts. Chris Smallcomb, NWS-Reno Meteorologist and Public Information Officer, stated, “Yesterday was an exceptional storm, delivering in excess of 4 inches of rain in a short period of time”. It was estimated to be an approximate two-hour storm. NWS has reported heavy thunderstorms will continue through this afternoon.

The traveling public is advised to use alternate routes, keep a close eye on the weather, and proceed cautiously when driving through mountainous areas. The safety of Caltrans and other agency’s crews, and that of other responders, is very important. Inattentiveness on the road can have tragic consequences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

8/2 Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
State Route 158 is closed only at the mudslide between Silver Lake and Grant Lake.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re-opened 8/8

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is pleased to inform the traveling public that State Route 158 (June Lake Loop) will be reopened today at 4:30 p.m. The route was previously closed due to a mudslide on July 31, 2018.

For the latest highway information please visit the Caltrans QuickMap site at quickmap.dot.ca.gov or call the Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).
##
www.dot.ca.gov