Mount Whitney

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Whitney

Post by bobby49 »

In the old days, I did 40 consecutive years of Whitney up and down in a day (east side). Finally it caught up with me, and I failed for 41. I just wasn't feeling that good, so I bailed. Then the following year I came across the High Sierra Trail from Giant Forest, then ascended the west side from Crabtree. That worked and I exited by Cottonwood Pass. For this year, I entered by Shepherd Pass and did the west side again. That was Year 42.

I don't recommend Shepherd Pass.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mount Whitney

Post by Jimr »

It's a direct route in if you don't mind the punishment :-)
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I don't recommend Shepherd Pass.
It's a little work, but the views toward the Upper Kern / Kaweah's are well worth to me. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Hmmm. Next time you can carry my backpack and I will enjoy the views.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You got it, but only if you then carry all my camera gear. :-)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I put helium inserts in the side pockets of my camera bag to reduce the effective weight. Otherwise, the porters start to complain.