Summer in Wyoming coming up

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Summer in Wyoming coming up

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Next week I am leaving for a summer in the Wind Rivers. You may not hear from me until September. I am spending very little time between trips in town, so will not post much.

I am doing a thru-route. The two 7-day southern sections I will do as loops because of car logistics. A friend who I have known since my years at NOLS is joining me on the two 9-day northern sections. He is a retired emergency room doctor, as well as was expedition doctor for an Everest climb, so I will be in good hands. Between these trips, my husband is meeting me early August and we will spend four days fishing on the upper Green River and he will help us with shuttling cars between trailheads. If the weather holds, and if I do not become burned out, I will do a last trip, probably concentrating on fishing.

It has been a real chore pre-packing all the food, figuring out all the logistics and getting gear ready. Unlike my trips before on the east side, I will be mostly on the west side and living out of my car between backpacks, not has handy as "basing" in Lander at friend's homes. So far there are no fires or smoke in the area, but it has been a wet winter and cool spring so the water is high, snow lingering, and likely will have an intense mosquito hatch. Thankfully, the Wind Rivers are aptly named- it is really windy, so skeets are not as annoying as in the Sierra. It also looks to be a monsoonal summer, which means thunderstorms many afternoons. I just hope the fall snows hold off enough to complete my trips.

For those who are familiar with the Wind Rivers, here are the general routes.

1) Roaring Fork TH - Stough Creek Lakes - Mountain Sheep Lake -over to the west side of the Divide through Little Sandy - Temple Lake - Black Joe Lake - and back east Deep Creek Lakes -and trail waking back to Roaring Fork. (7 days)

2) Big Sandy TH - Cirque of the Towers -Lizard Head Trail to South Fork Lakes - Washakie Lake - South Fork of the Little Wind River - Grave Lake - Baptiste Lake - and down the East Fork River to Big Sandy/ or continue via Bonneville Lake to Scab Creek where I meet my friend. (7 days)

3) Scab Creek TH - Lee and Middle Fork Lakes - Photo Pass to South Fork of Bull Lake Creek, Europe Pass to Europe Lakes - Hay pass to Golden Lakes, Alpine Lakes - Brown Cliff Lakes -out either via Angel Pass or Wall Pass, Pole Creek to Elkhart TH. (9 days)

4) Elkhart TH - Titcomb Lakes - Indian Basin - NF Bull Lake (Glacier Panorama), Blaurock Pass to the upper Dinwoody - Klondike Lake - Downs Lake - Bomber Lake - Ross Lakes, and out to Torrey Creek TH. (9 days)

5) If weather still good, then Green River Lakes TH - Clear Lake - Crescent Lake - Bear Lake Basin - Baker Lake - Tourist Creek, Scott Lake, day-hike to view the Mammoth Glacier- drop down the miserable Tourist Creek, back via Highline Trial to Green River Lakes. If weather unsettled I will opt for a mellow fishing trip from New Fork Lakes. (from 5 to 8 days depending on route and weather)

I hope everyone has a wonderful summer in the Sierra. I hope to get one more Sierra trip in when I return.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Summer in Wyoming coming up

Post by Tom_H »

I know these mountains are home for you. I am glad you will be with such a qualified and experienced partner. Here's hoping you have an absolutely grand time. Best wishes!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Sounds like a wonderful summer for the Wandering Daisy. You're an inspiration to us all to just get out there. We look forward to hearing and seeing how your trips went. Best of luck, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Well. I was wondering why we hadn't seen you post on the main board... I hope you have a good time in the Winds.. I plan to be a couple weeks behind you on your trip 3...( golden lake/Fitzpatrick wilderness)... leaving from Elkhart park ( probably) and circling around the area just east of the divide after going over Angel Pass.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Just got out from the first trip. Mosquitos and black flies were nasty, weather unusually warm, NO rain, creek crossings mild, a few snow problems, very windy- just try fly fishing with whitecaps! Decided not to take traction, which resulted in re-routing because I could not get past a snowfield that completely covered one slope, but then another snow cornice had melted out on an edge so I could get down. Wildflowers were fantastic and everything is spring-fresh green. Huge meadows of high grasses. Some south facing slopes are getting a bit brown. Elk and deer tracks galore. Rouge habituated bear (actually dragged a pack away while a group was setting up camp) was in the area I intended to start, so I reversed the loop, but only saw older bear tracks. Four days without seeing anyone. Either I am getting older, or the bushwhacking more gnarly!

Trip report when I get back. Headed out on #2 trip in a day or so.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

You go Daisy! Carpe diem!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Take care of yourself and have a safe trek.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Just got back from second trip. My feet got a beating so am glad to rest up a few days. Good weather, but windy, so fishing not great except for one lake where I caught two cutthroat 14 inches and another full of smaller brookies. Wild flowers are at peak and amazing. Huge fields of flowers. Still very lush and green. Only a handful of people off the main trails. The Fremont Trail (CDT) is now full of hikers. I picked up a CDT hiker at South Pass who was hitching a ride to Lander. So far, no smoke here so I have some good photos. I now have a few days off, so will post a few photos.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Great to have you back! Eagerly awaiting your photos...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Some Photos from Trip 1
IMG_8426_60%.jpg
IMG_8478_60%.jpg
IMG_8507_60%.jpg
IMG_8510_60%.jpg
IMG_8573_SMALL.JPG
IMG_8529_60%.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.