Foot Prints

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Foot Prints

Post by maverick »

What are you currently using? If you chose "c", describe what you use and why you chose to use over the manufacturer's Foot Print?

a. Foot Print from same manufacturer as your tent

b. Foot Print made by company someone other than you tents manufacturer

c. Foot Print made by yourself
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Foot Prints

Post by Jimr »

C. I have two made from Tyvek and one made from clear window film. Why? well, one Tyvek was cut by Tarptent,so that doesn't count. The other is for my 1980's REI 3 person dome tent, so there were no footprints back then. I used to use a piece of blue plastic painter's tarp. Still do when car camping with the Bellagio. The window film is cheap, tough and ultra light.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I have a factory footprint for my larger Big Agnes tent that I use when my wife and I are together and a Tyvek one that I use with my Eureka Spitfire alone.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I'll go with D: don't use one unless it's a very short trip where weight does not matter, in which case it's whatever old plastic drop cloth I have laying around that is close to size. For car camping my big Eureka has a dedicated 4-mil polyethylene footprint with an entry porch extension at the door which gets a doormat on it.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Factory footprint but only if I don't bring the inner tent and just pitch the outer rain fly... which is hardly ever.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

What is a foot print?

My current shelter has no floor. I have one thin piece of cuben fiber to go under my sleeping bag and pad.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

d. None..
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

C
Tyvek. Why? I can make it a little larger to suit my taste, especially to make a "landing spot" around the vestibule. It's also cheaper than the manufacturer's footprint.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

a) for me.
i went with the manufacturer's ground sheet for my Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. Too lazy to make my own.
Never used one until i had the Fly Creek, as the floor seemed to border on too light for my tastes.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

D. None-permeable ground underneath helps to drain water in heavy rain. Even with ground sheet cut short I have had water bleed up thru floor with footprint. Never without footprint.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!