Question about approach to Conness Lakes from Greenstone

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Question about approach to Conness Lakes from Greenstone

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

I've been to the 20 lakes Basin several times in my teens and 20s, and the wife and I are headed there next week for two, maybe three days/nights of photography, milky way shooting, etc....

From what I've seen the Conness Lakes are really quite photogenic, but the trip reports that I've seen from there have pics of this one tricky area that might spell trouble for someone with vertigo, like she has. This is what I'm talking about, the 4th pic down: https://sierranewsonline.com/hiking-wit ... ess-lakes/

Can anyone familiar with the approach suggest an alternate approach that might not be that vertical? It's nothing for me, but to her even something that easy would be a deal breaker.

If there's nothing else, no biggie. There's a LOT else to shoot around there.

Oh, and since I haven't been there in so long, and I've never had to pitch a tent there, are there any particular places that are better than others for that I should know about?

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question about approach to Conness Lakes from Greenstone

Post by maverick »

Oh, and since I haven't been there in so long, and I've never had to pitch a tent there, are there any particular places that are better than others for that I should know about?
Just so you know, there is no camping allowed at Conness Lakes, which is within the Harvey Hall Research Natural Area.
You will probably will want to skip Conness Lakes anyways if your wife's vertigo is that bad.
Steelhead Lake, Cascade Lake, and the many small tarns and slabs (wildflowers can be great too) are your best photography points in the basin to set up a basecamp at. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

maverick wrote:
Just so you know, there is no camping allowed at Conness Lakes, which is within the Harvey Hall Research Natural Area.
You will probably will want to skip Conness Lakes anyways if your wife's vertigo is that bad.
Steelhead Lake, Cascade Lake, and the many small tarns and slabs (wildflowers can be great too) are your best photography points in the basin to set up a basecamp at. :)
Thanks! Yes, I knew that; we didn't plan to camp there, but down below in the much more easily accessed areas like the ones you mentioned.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I don't recall how steep they are, but I much prefer getting to Conness Lakes from the slabby ridge between Steelhead Lake and Conness Lakes (stay to the end furthest from North Peak). I find it much easier walking/zig-zagging... especially since I'm not a fan of sections of the normal "use trail" from Greenstone. The descent from there to Conness isn't too bad if I recall either. For reference, I get queasy a good chunk of the time on steeper downhill segments - I have some balance issues due to nerve damage in my legs from a back injury - and I've not had an issue with getting to/from Conness Lakes that way. I've also not been in two years, so I'm a bit rusty on the steepness factor...
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

There is a pretty decent use trail from Greenstone Lake that approximately follows the stream. By approximate I mean that because if it followed the stream faithfully there is a waterfall near the bottom. The rounded ridge above this route to the north, mentioned in this thread, is also easy going but it doesn't have a use trail and one has to do more zigging and zagging to get around steps in slabs. I think the use trail nearer to the stream is the easiest way up and I've done this a mess of times, including with young children. Exposure is not an issue with this route.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I should also add that most of the time we do the 20 Lakes loop counterclockwise (adding the Conness Lakes stop), so we always go up the slabs and end up coming down the stream/waterfall/use trail from Greenstone. To be honest, I don't recognize the 4th photo in the link... I don't recall encountering that on the use trail from Greenstone.
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

astrogerly wrote:I don't recall how steep they are, but I much prefer getting to Conness Lakes from the slabby ridge between Steelhead Lake and Conness Lakes (stay to the end furthest from North Peak). I find it much easier walking/zig-zagging... especially since I'm not a fan of sections of the normal "use trail" from Greenstone. The descent from there to Conness isn't too bad if I recall either. For reference, I get queasy a good chunk of the time on steeper downhill segments - I have some balance issues due to nerve damage in my legs from a back injury - and I've not had an issue with getting to/from Conness Lakes that way. I've also not been in two years, so I'm a bit rusty on the steepness factor...
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I sorta figured that might be possible, but I haven't been to the basin in so long I simply didn't have a good mental picture of that.