Name of this shrub species?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Name of this shrub species?

Post by SSSdave »

Despite knowing scientific names of many showy wildflower species, my knowledge of shrub and ceanothus species is mediocre. What species is this shrub below the Sierra juniper? Not just the common name.

Slice crop at 50% pixels:

The image is on page 6 of my 2018 Trip Chronicles:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2018_Trip_C ... 018-6.html
This was from near Grass Lake at 7400 feet in the Glen Alpine Creek basin of Desolation Wilderness that I backpacked into 4 nights. This is the most abundant type of brush that one encounters on lower west forested slopes of the Sierra Nevada between 5500 and 8000 feet. Very abundant above west shores of Lake Tahoe, Kibbie Lake, Lake Vernon, in the canyon below Edyth Lake, or above slopes of the Merced River in Little Yosemite Valley, and many other Sierra areas at those elevations.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Re: Name of this shrub species?

Post by apeman45 »

Hard to tell without seeing a close up of the branches or foliage. There are lots of different manzanitas growing in the Sierra. Some are lower growing that like rocky areas that look a lot different from the traditional manzanita we've all been stuck in before. Up high in desolation there is a lot of pinemat manzanita and green leaf manzanita that grow in rocky places like this. When not in bloom or with their red fruit they are harder to identify. I don't think it is a ceanothus but I really have no idea. Sorry i haven't been any help.

Amazing pictures of Sierra Juniper. Those are my favorite Sierra Trees and there are some nice ones in that area. I always stop and say hello to a nice one on the locals trail on the way up the talus slope going up to Tallac.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Try looking for "manzanita" and "ceanothus" (separately) for El Dorado County on CalFlora (www.calflora.org). It will show descriptions and photos of all the species of that type known to occur in that county. Hopefully you can find a match.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Of course in this era, I have a long list of plant species links. However as an amateur identifier don't always go about identifying plants using botanist methods. Well since no one on a couple boards knew what it was, did this the hard way going through a list of 500+ images of perennials one by one and then saw it. All we cross country backpackers push, stumble, and thrash through this brush as it is everywhere. Was the stuff I swam like a monkey through from Ardeth Lake down very steeply to Jack Main Canyon and that Maverick swam through when he descended from Bartlett Creek down to Edyth Lake. I knew it wasn't a manzanita, nor a ceanothus, nor a chinquapin and vaguely recall having ID'd it years ago. On hot days in the sun, the leaves exude a sticky oil. And dust and dirt in the air sticks to that oil so that moving through the brush if it has not rained in weeks can send up unpleasant clouds of dust leaving one grubby as it gets all over one's clothes and hair..

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_ ... +0911+1190

http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/eflora/eflor ... ?tid=40771

Quercus vacciniifolia
HUCKLEBERRY OAK
Habit: Shrub < 1.5 m, prostrate to spreading, evergreen; twigs slender, pliable, glabrous. Leaf: 1.5--4 cm; petiole 3--6 mm; blade +- oblong, adaxially glabrous, green, abaxially glabrous, dull, pale green, tip obtuse to acute, margin entire to mucro-toothed. Fruit: cup 10--12 mm wide, 4--6 mm deep, thin, generally cup-shaped, scales +- tubercled to not; nut 10--15 mm, ovoid to +- spheric, distally obtuse to rounded; shell thin, subglabrous to sparsely tomentose inside; mature in year 2.
Ecology: Steep slopes, ridges, conifer forest, subalpine; Elevation: 150--2930 m.(9.6k) Bioregional Distribution: KR, NCoRH, NCoRI, CaRH, SNH, MP; Distribution Outside California: Oregon, Nevada. Flowering Time: May--Jul Note: Hybridizes with Quercus chrysolepis.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

Thanks Dave! I'm trying to learn more about Sierra plants and am happy that I now know what I'm wading over constantly in off trail scrambles.