Nuts

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Nuts

Post by maverick »

I now also take a few dark chocolate covered almonds.
Ever try some Italian Chocolate Covered Hazelnuts WD? :yummy:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Honey roasted peanuts.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

None. The last couple of years, they've given me acid indigestion, so it's off the nuts or on the antacids. I'll go with the former for awhile and see how it goes.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

My favorites are peanuts. But I love all nuts! My roommates back in college would make fun of me regularly since I'd be munching on nuts hah. I buy the Tempting Trail Mix from Trader Joes. Yes, it's more expensive but it comes in prepackages 1.5 oz bags that are great for my daily trail mix intake. Peanuts, cashews (which are a close second), almonds (3rd favorite), chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and craisins. My absolute favorite trail mix for years!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Roasted, salted peanuts. However I have found that peanuts are social animals, and start to act up if carried all by themselves. So I add some M&M's, and that seems to make the peanuts much happier.
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Dry roasted almonds from Trader Joes and pumpkin seeds are my go-to.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

MountainMinstrel wrote:
RichardCullip wrote:Cashews for me
X2
X3

Gotta say, though, one time I brought back some chocolate covered pineapple chunks from a Dole store in Hawaii. That was the most delicious munchie I ever had on the trail.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Nuts/seeds are the main source of food when I backpack. Many calories per gram and they pack tight. Other nuts/seeds: pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pepitas, sacha inchi, hickory (not much), coconut chips. Most unsalted (and not sugar coated), but some salted. Mostly roasted, but not always. Not mixed - each in a separate ziplock bag. Chocolate covered? Rarely (almonds). Also chocolate peanut cups. Actually, a lot of chocolate.
Does anyone like those spiced Garbanzo Beans too?
Yes, spicy chickpeas too. Also wasabe peas.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Actually, a lot of chocolate.
:thumbsup: :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

JORDAN ALMONDS!!!

(Those candy covered almond things)