Stunning lakes/remote locations?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Peak names

Post by oldranger »

What peak is that on the skyline near the left side of Maverick's photo? It caught my eye from several viewpoints as I left yosemite over Post Peak Pass and down to the Fernadez Pass trailhead last friday and saturday.

Mike
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Peak names

Post by giantbrookie »

oldranger wrote:What peak is that on the skyline near the left side of Maverick's photo? It caught my eye from several viewpoints as I left yosemite over Post Peak Pass and down to the Fernadez Pass trailhead last friday and saturday.

Mike
That should be Hilgard.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Giantbrookie,
Turns out I'm in agreement again; the trip earlier this year that my wife thought was a killer (and got us back to Blue Lakes) was a "high loop" around Lyell in which we visited virtually all of the drainages that run off the flanks of Lyell, MacLure, Simmons, Rodgers etc. It was something I'd longed to do for a while, because I figured that the lakes/valleys in those areas were likely to be pretty underutilized, even though most of them run out to trails. Turns out it was a good guess, because we did not see another soul for 8 of the 11 days we were out. (However, there was one set of footprints from someone who'd been at Blue and went over to the Lyell Fork Lakes). Anyway, both the Hutchings Creek drainage and the Lyell fork of the Merced (and that great series of azure steppingstone lakes on its East side) were absolutely spectacular. However, the wildest visuals on the whole trip came from a pothole lake at the end of the basin a little south and east of Simmons peak. With ice trapped below a layer of melt, it was among the most intoxicating blues I've seen in the Sierras (and all the more incongruous, because it was barricaded by dark rock and snow). Anyway, once I figure out how to get photos posted, I'll illustrate. The only downside is that by the time we reached Blue Lakes, the early July fires that were sweeping the Owens valley had kicked up enough smoke that those stunning views to the south that you were waxing eloquent about were partially obscured. Still, I think the take home message is that it's hard to go wrong on either side of the Minarets/Ritter/Banner......
cgundersen
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

OK, I'm still having problems getting the images to display in the post, but the preceding post has the link to the "cool" blue pothole lake that is south and a bit east of Simmons Peak; I'll see if I can get Blue Lake photos to appear in a subsequent post!
cgundersen
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

That is an exceedingly alpine scene (the lakelet in your photo). If you like that one, have you ever seen the lakelet SSE of Mt. Dade? (this is the bowl that sits above the so-called "Hourglass" part of the standard class 2 climbing route on Mt. Dade) It is an utterly savage scene with the jagged crest above steep permanent snow/ice which calves into the lakelet. I first saw it in September of a dry year (1977) and the ice was streaked gray with bands of talus rockfall making it look even more dramatic.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

OK, I can see that my list of places to go is going to grow exponentially, which is fine as long as the joints hold up. Anyway, that lakelet by Dade is not one I've seen, but it sounds like it's worth a peek/peak (and the good thing is that it can probably be done over the course of a strenuous day hike)!
Thanks for the tip!
cgundersen
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

the blues

Post by cgundersen »

A couple of shots across lower Blue Lake toward Ritter/Banner and the Minarets (I hope):
[img]"http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1100/979 ... 81b2_o.jpg"[/img]
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

This is a great thread! Here is my vote:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

This lake is really beautiful:

Thanks for sharing your pictures.