Meeks Bay trailhead parking and shuttle ideas

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Poopah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Meeks Bay trailhead parking and shuttle ideas

Post by Poopah »

We're heading in Desolation next week thru the Meeks bay trailhead. Anything I need to know about parking there?

Also, any good ideas on getting back to the car? We're looking at coming out thru Eagle Falls or perhaps Glen Alpine. Taxi?
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Meeks Bay trailhead parking and shuttle ideas

Post by lauralai627 »

Hi Poopah, my husband and I read another post from you about putting together an epic Desolation fishing trip. We are planning on following GB's lunker shuttle advice next week. Did you ever find out any good intel on the Meeks trailhead parking or shuttle possibilities? We are thinking about trying to hitchhike and were also wondering if rideshares like Lyft and Uber are available in that area. Or (since I'm not sure Poopah is even on this forum anymore) maybe someone else has thoughts on how to get back to our car at Meeks after exiting the Glen Alpine trailhead? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

I've gone in-out at both of those places before and just hitchhiked several times from one to the other. At Meeks Bay, there's usually no problem finding parking. Eagle Falls parking lot at Emerald Bay is another story. I once spent an hour circling the lot and finally just drove to Bayview Campground and parked at the trailhead lot.

If you can't hitch a ride at Emerald Bay, you could pull out a sign that says, "Need ride to Meeks Bay, Will pay $20." A taxi would be exorbitant.
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

Thanks Tom! I think we will try to hitch. We are coming out at Glen Alpine / Fallen Leaf Lake - will consider making a sign. Good to know Meeks TH parking is usually reasonable!
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

lauralai627 wrote:Thanks Tom! I think we will try to hitch. We are coming out at Glen Alpine / Fallen Leaf Lake - will consider making a sign. Good to know Meeks TH parking is usually reasonable!
Meeks Bay and Eagle Falls are right on CA 89 and thus will offer better chances of catching a ride hitchhiking. I have been successful at both, but hundreds of cars went by before someone offered a ride-maybe 30 min. to an hour's wait. Glen Alpine is a remote location, and though there are a fair number of day hikers going in/out, you will not have nearly as many opportunities to catch a ride. You might be able to get a ride from there to 89 with someone headed south on 89, then another ride north from there. Anyway, catching a hitch out of Glen Alpine could be more of a chance, unless you just walk up to people and offer the $ in person.

Are you going Meeks Creek, Velmas, Dicks Lake, Gilmore, Glen Alpine?
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

That’s good to know — we may end up parking or car at Fallen Lead and then trying to hitch up to Meeks on Day 1 when we have a bit more flexibility. Yes, we are heading Meeks, Velma’s, Dicks, Gilmore, Glen Alpine with a few other fishing stops and maybe a side trip to Half Moon and Heather along the way.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

In years past, the "Tahoe Trolley" has made several runs per day up highway 89 from South Tahoe with stops at both Emerald Bay (Eagle Creek) and Meeks Bay. Google it to see if it is running this year.
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

Thanks wildhiker! The trolley is definitely running this summer - you can see the red "Trolley" signs at stops along highway 89. We ended up leaving our car and hitching to Meeks from Eagle Falls / Emerald Bay instead of Fallen Leaf, which seemed more difficult to hitch from. If anyone is taking the Trolley, I would suggest calling the Trolley (530) 541-7149 to confirm the schedule and stops since there are a lot of outdated maps and schedules online.