How the HST Map helped me catch fish in Oregon

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

How the HST Map helped me catch fish in Oregon

Post by oldranger »

Those of you that monitor "beyond the sierra Nevada" have probably noticed that I frequently fish Wickiup reservoir in Central Oregon. Except for the old river and stream channels most of the lake is extremely shallow. It is currently down about 12 feet from full pool but less than 1/2 of the lake is currently over 25 feet deep and the lake bottom can rise from 40 feet to 5 feet in less than 100 feet horizontally. While I have a chart plotter on my boat, it measures depth from full pool and thus does not give accurate warning of when the bottom is going rise rapidly. Nor does the sonar that tells me the actual depth of the water. So I scrolled the HST map up to central oregon and zoomed into Wickiup Reservoir. When it got zoomed in enough the map displayed contour lines of the lake bottom. I then printed the map then highlighted the two main channels in the lake with yellow highlighter. Then in bright pink highlighter I outlined the 4300 ft contour which given the current elevation of the lake contained the area that is 26 feet deep. with dark red I outlined the 4330 to give me a rough idea of the shoreline of the lake. This map plus my chart plotter plus my sonar enabled me to find some areas to fish that I hadn't recognized in the past and directly led me to the spot where I caught my biggest kokanee. I suspect anyone fishing reservoirs anywhere could do the same thing and enhance their fishing success.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
austex
Topix Expert

Re: How the HST Map helped me catch fish in Oregon

Post by austex »

WOw Mike, we can learn something new every day. That said I hear learning new things, not just exercising the mind (Sudoku etc) helps ward off Alzheimer's !
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not helping me much launched the boat with the drain plug out a couple of days ago. switched on the bilge pump and put the plug back in and pulled the boat out of the water as soon as I noticed it. What a dummy!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wickiup Reservoir.png
=D> =D>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Vaca Russ wrote:
Wickiup Reservoir.png
=D> =D>
You got it. I could tell you where the fish are but then ....
Mike

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:Not helping me much launched the boat with the drain plug out a couple of days ago. switched on the bilge pump and put the plug back in and pulled the boat out of the water as soon as I noticed it. What a dummy!
You're gonna need a check-list. Probably impressed the heck out of the grandson!

Plug stuff happens. Happened to my dad in an old Dorsett; we pulled up anchor and speed around for a bit and the suction pulled the water right out, and we resumed sturgeon fishing.
Happened to a co-worker who knew nothing about boats; I decided to go with him to help. We got the boat back on the trailer but couldn't move it with all the water in it. As he attached the winch, he stuck his fingertip between the rope and said go! I moved the vehicle forward and then I heard a scream; bye-bye fingertip. As the paramedics attended to him, I had to sit in the tow vehicle as it's parking brake didn't work well, and the boat was still water-logged. I just asked which hospital was he taken to, and then after the water drained, I met back up with him.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I decided to get some letter decals "check plug" and put on the bow of the boat so when I disconnect the boat from the trailer just before backing all the way in I'll be staring at a reminder. Suspect I'll receive some snickers but that is better than the alternative.
Mike

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No one will laugh at you for being safe..
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Vaca Russ wrote:
Wickiup Reservoir.png
=D> =D>
Always leave the plug in the drivers seat...I learned the hard way.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

MountainMinstrel wrote:
Vaca Russ wrote:
Wickiup Reservoir.png
=D> =D>
Always leave the plug in the drivers seat...I learned the hard way.
That won't work for me. As the boat is in the water several minutes before I board it.
Mike