All packed up but where to go?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: All packed up but where to go?

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: All you guys going to Marbles, write up trip reports!!
Just don't say that you lost your marbles.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Have you done the Rubies?
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

I assume WD has picked her destination and is well on her way now. Can't wait to find out what it is upon her return.

AT, I have been to the Rubies. I hiked to Liberty Lake from Lamoille Canyon. It's definitely the showcase hike of the range. Highly recommended.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rightstar76 wrote:I assume WD has picked her destination and is well on her way now. Can't wait to find out what it is upon her return.

AT, I have been to the Rubies. I hiked to Liberty Lake from Lamoille Canyon. It's definitely the showcase hike of the range. Highly recommended.
I did the Ruby Crest Trail - I hesitate to even mention it on a forum, it's the perfect little thru hike.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The 20 bucks is chump change. Came back this afternoon from 4 day road trip driving San Jose to Mono Lake, 500 miles round trip. My 2007 Forester gets 25 mpg. (500/25)*3.50= $70
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes I am back. Went to Emigrant- will do a TR soon. As to why, it is a short drive for me, had a lot of off-trail, I had been in the area before but did not get good photos. Not sure if it was just that trip, the area not easy to photograph, or just my laziness last trip on trying to get photos. The trip was an odd balance of in and out days on a very crowded popular trail, and then three days seeing not a single person. A lot of my early season trips, now that I am getting older, are testing myself. The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne trip was basically a test of big elevation gains; this trip was a test if I can still do gnarly off-trail. I did make some map-reading errors, but no more than usual. I am doing some big trips in the Wind Rivers this summer and needed to see if my travel plans were still reasonable. :)

I think many of you misinterpreted what I meant when I said where to go. I have no lack of places I want to go or detailed trip plans! It is the opposite problem- too many trips; not enough time (or money). When I have up to 10 good routes to choose from, I end up with indecision. I am also indecisive in other parts of my life, LOL. I have a dozen good reasons to do "A" as well as a dozen good reasons to do "B". It is a problem of abundance, not dearth. I do not need any more suggestions or where to go; just the ability to decide which one! I have thought about assigning each trip a number then throwing dice. Nevertheless, thanks all for your kind suggestions.

SSSDave- you live in the Bay Area. So does my daughter so I have learned that a dollar to those who live there is not the same as a dollar for those of us in tomato town.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well good that you went to Emigrant. Now you can provide some conditions info that I that has been mulling over a trip for before the July 4th holiday just, might find useful. Useful for making a decision haha.

In the mean time just made up for the 20 bucks you would not spend by reserving a permit for 4 days in the Glen Alpine Creek areas. Can see those areas have nicely melted out while much snow is just above as at Aloha. Will have lots of fun hunting down gnarly Sierra junipers in places trail pounders in that zone never see.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for supporting the Desolation Wilderness! I am putting up a trip report tomorrow AM. Already did mosquito and stream crossing reports. Flowers were still good but some are past peak. Lots of phlox, and big fields of shooting stars. Indian Paintbrush look a bit wilted. Some other yellow flowers and low gray-purple flowers with round flowers. Sorry I do not know what they are. Pretty green and lush right now. Buck Lakes are nice and full- no bathtub ring. For all purposes, no snow where I went. Trail is getting dusty out of Crabtree. Cherry Creek is flowing well, but far below peak.