JO Pass Trailside "Chimney" Mystery

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

JO Pass Trailside "Chimney" Mystery

Post by franklin411 »

Hello folks,
My friend and I were supposed to hike to Twin Lakes on Saturday, but we were slow in getting out so we set up camp at the bear box/campsite located at the Twin Lakes Trail - JO Pass Trail junction linked below:

http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/SC02.html

We liked the site so much (good water, good fire rings, lots of deadfall, not crowed at all) that we spent 2 nights there, and we made some interesting discoveries.

1. I found two trees by the creek that had a bunch of nails pounded into them, some of which were "U" shaped. The trees were about 2' apart, so I guessed that the tree had been used to cure/stretch a hide at some point.

2. There was a curiously flat piece of log-wood that we used as a bench...it also had a door or roofing nail in it (very wide head, short shaft).

But the big mysteries for us were:

3. Some sort of "chimney." The thing was a dome built out of rock and compacted earth about 4' in diameter, with a 6-8" square shaft in the center. There were recent burned wood remains inside the chimney, and a long rectangular shaft perpendicular to the chimney that measured about 6" x 6" x 5 feet.
p1.jpg
4. At least 4-5 odd rectangular "bricks" made of a semi porous beige substance, about 4" x 6" in size scattered about. It was too hard/tough to be hardtack or old fashioned campfire bread, but that was what we initially thought it was.
p2.jpg
Any ideas on what these things might have been?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: JO Pass Trailside "Chimney" Mystery

Post by zacjust32 »

I would call SEKI and ask for the archaeologist and report what you found. They keep a catalog of all sites and could probably tell you what it is.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Thanks, I'll try that!
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Well I think I got the "chimney" part figured out...Dakota fire pit: