Oreana Peak 06/03/2018

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Oreana Peak 06/03/2018

Post by SNOOOOW »

Oreana Pano.jpg
I decided that I would head out into the Pine Nuts on my own since PBR (vacaruss) would not wait an extra day for me to join him on Markleeville and The Nipple. I left my car at the bottom of Red Canyon out of Smith on the east side of the Pine Nuts in Lyon County. I wanted to hike up Oreana and Galena and Siegel but by the time I actually got up to the top of Oreana I did not feel like heading any farther away from my car. I saw nobody all day then as I was sitting on top this guy rolled up in his "side by side" and was just out exploring the 4wd roads. I had never been in 1 of those before so he offered to cruise me around a bit then back towards my car so I jumped in. He wouldn't take me to Galena/Siegel and back unfortunately as he had just come from that direction so we took the long way back towards my car enjoying the bumpy ride. I immediately went home and told my Wife we should buy 1 :D . It was starting to get hot and so he dropped me off about halfway to my car and we parted ways. On the way down I ran into 5 or so other people also doing the same thing but just barely getting their day started. I will have to return another time and head for Galena and Siegel. Maybe my neighbor will let me use his quad and I can just ride up straight from my house, that would be nice. :drinkers:
Smith.jpg
Side By Side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Oreana Peak 06/03/2018

Post by Vaca Russ »

SNOOOOW wrote:Maybe my neighbor will let me use his quad and I can just ride up straight from my house, that would be nice.
I consulted the official rule book and you must hike the last 100 feet of elevation or it is considered cheating. :lol: [-X

There is a pole on the summit of Galena...
11.JPG
...and a giant cairn on the summit of Seigel.
18.JPG
We should climb Tom on 7/6.

JMHO,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

What rule book is that?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Such a cool area of mountains :)