GC Tuolumne, 5/31-6/3/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: GC Tuolumne, 5/31-6/3

Post by mrphil »

Thank you for taking the time to put your trip report together, Daisy. Fantastic photos and great narrative. You not only captured the essence of your trip, you answered a lot of questions about the trail and conditions. Headed there with my own daughter next week for our last official trip of her childhood, as she graduates high school on friday and turns 18 next month, and I really appreciate the info and inspiration.
Last edited by mrphil on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Since I only had second hand information about the Pate Valley Bridge, I hesitate to say it is "easy". Specifically the fellows said both hand rails are down, and the "bridge" is reduced to two wide planks. They thought it was plenty sturdy, just committing- sort of a fall off and you die situation. Definitely not for someone afraid of walking logs. But the walking surface is wide and flat. The first fellow I met was a climber, so obviously did not phase him a bit. Definitely keep an eye out for the rattlesnakes. They are pretty harmless unless you actually step on one, with the overgrown trail making this a possibility. Regardless of weather reports, I would not "cowboy camp" due to the ants and gnats. You at least need some protection from creepy crawlies. I only saw one fresh sign of bears. If you choose to camp in Pate Valley, about quarter a mile down river from the bridge, on the White Wolf side has better camping and is away from the swamp, snakes and bears. In a week you may not even have to do as much wading in Glen Aulin valley.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great report and pictures. Almost makes me want to reconsider our hike again but I think I'll stick with the new permits.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Great shots !
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for posting the lovely trip report WD. Your photos are fantastic, especially those long afternoon shadows in the canyon. It makes me want to return to the C.G. soon!
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for posting the details of your trip. I have permits for Glen Aulin in August. I am very tempted to take a few days this early June to hike out and visit the waterfalls and take in the area near Glen Aulin. Do you know if there is a sign off the PCT marking the use trail for Mattie Lake? That is on my list of places to visit this summer.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Do you know if there is a sign off the PCT marking the use trail for Mattie Lake? That is on my list of places to visit this summer.
The route is x-country, so there is no trail Paula.
If you have some x-country experience, exit off the trail before the outlet creek/falls from Mattie Lake meets the trail, on the eastern side of the creek, at the point where the river bends and gets closest to the trail, and then head head up to Mattie Lake. Make sure to check out Wildcat Point and the views from the cliff edges above California Falls while on the top, the views are outstanding of the GCT, Tuolumne River, Tuolumne Falls, Kuna Crest, and the entire Cathedral Range. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

paula53 wrote:Do you know if there is a sign off the PCT marking the use trail for Mattie Lake? That is on my list of places to visit this summer.
I don't think there is a sign but there are 3 ways in: one is up the slick rock near California falls before wildcat, the second is the historical mule trail off the PCT which will take you right to Mattie Lk (the park used to take dignitaries up there and set up a lavish spread, and the third is before the mule trail where you climb steeply up what I call is the cut for a 600' gain in elevation, cutting down on the walk up and around to the mule trail. I like the slick rock option. At about 8800' you can traverse towards the outlet of Mattie and it becomes a cake walk. Yes, I've used all three.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for your replies. I do not have any x-country experience. I am fair with a map and compass. If its only two miles off trail, I will try it. I really want to visit Mattie Lake. The maps show meadows from the PCT.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

the second is the historical mule trail off the PCT which will take you right to Mattie Lk (the park used to take dignitaries up there and set up a lavish spread
Have not gone up that trail in decades, someone I talked to last year said, they tried following the trail but lost it several times, have no idea about this persons navagational experience, but am sure that it is not a maintained trail, which is why going up the slick rock would still be my recommendation, instead of wasting time trying to find/follow that unmaintained trail, unless this person was just not good at navagation, which could very well have been the case.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org