Mammoth Lakes and Bishop parking

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mammoth Lakes and Bishop parking

Post by bobby49 »

Soon I will be backpacking from North Lake over Piute Pass and north to Mammoth Lakes. At a leisurely pace, it might take me as much as one week. Where can I legally leave my car parked during that?
1. I could park it at Mammoth Lakes near the finish, but I don't know where is legal. I could bus to Bishop and get up to Sabrina that way.
2. I could park it at Bishop, but I don't know where is legal. I could get to Sabrina from there. Later I could bus from Mammoth Lakes to Bishop.
3. I could park it at North Lake, but I don't know where is legal. I could do the whole trip, then bus from Mammoth Lakes to Bishop and then up to Sabrina.

I asked to Mammoth Lakes P.D., and there is no answer. I asked to the White Mountain R.S., and there is no answer.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mammoth Lakes and Bishop parking

Post by maverick »

You can park in Mammoth, not to far from the Shuttle stop, there is a parking lot across from the Mammoth Inn, not the lot in front of the Yodler, but the large lot east of it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

If you are coming over Duck Pass down to Mammoth Lakes, there is a large trailhead parking lot at the end of the road south of Lake Mary where many backpackers park for days at a time - we did in 2013.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

In Mammoth Lakes, there are two Mammoth Inns and two Yodlers. The ones up high at the base of the mountain are not very convenient unless going to the Devils Postpile. There are many shuttle stops across town. The ones in town near the Von's store are best for catching the bus to Bishop. The trailhead parking lot at the end of the road south of Lake Mary will be the most convenient, as long as it has space for me.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

bobby49 wrote:In Mammoth Lakes, there are two Mammoth Inns and two Yodlers. The ones up high at the base of the mountain are not very convenient unless going to the Devils Postpile. There are many shuttle stops across town. The ones in town near the Von's store are best for catching the bus to Bishop. The trailhead parking lot at the end of the road south of Lake Mary will be the most convenient, as long as it has space for me.
The parking lot there is huge. It is just passed (south) the coldwater campground and I have never seen that parking lot full.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have parked my car at North Lake for three weeks. The trailhead parking lot was actually full so I parked along the road farther down. I put a note in the window stating about when I will be back, add my permit number, and beg authorities not to tow my car. I do not think they would blink an eye at a car at any trailhead parking lot for only one week. Unless you want to see Devils Post Pile, come out via Duck Lake; it is by far more scenic. There are several trailhead parking lots. One at the end of the Duck Lake Trail near Marys Lake, another near Lake George for the trail that goes up by Crystal Crag, another at the Mammoth Pass trailhead near Horseshoe Lake. Devils Post Pile road has been damaged and I do not know when they will start the shuttle service. If the shuttle service is running, there is a huge parking lot at the ski lodge and you do not have to change busses to get there.

Much harder is finding a spot to park in Bishop. I would hesitate to park my car in the Safeway/Vons parking lot, not because it may be illegal but I would worry about vandalism. Bishop Inyo FS office may have suggestions.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Bishop Inyo FS office may have suggestions.
So far, I have seen no replies from Mammoth P.D. or the White Mountain R.S.