Bear Diversion Dam Road

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
aztecapiramide
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Bear Diversion Dam Road

Post by aztecapiramide »

We have been thinking of taking a 3 day backpacking trip to Bear Creek in Fresno County. Our only concern is the Bear Diversion Dam Road. On our research, many comments on that you need a 4x4 to be able to get to the creek. We currently own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner 2wd with a 9” clearance. Any one have experience with this road? Any input would be appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Diversion Dam Road

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

I have a 2014 Tacoma Prerunner (2wd) with stock clearance and had no issues on this road in 2014. Only challenge I seem to recall was one steep section that required some momentum to avoid losing traction.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I drove this road in 2003 in a Subaru Outback - about 7 inches clearance. No problem, except I parked before the last big climb up an exposed granite slab - just walked that part.
-Phil
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've been up the road several times in my 4wd Subarus. Generally the road surface is not flat because it is often uneven bedrock so not a road for low clearance in the dark. In some spots may need to get out and make a plan. From the parking spots a short distance in from the Edison road, the BDD road routes east a short ways then turns south. At these cross hairs is often where the road is damaged due to vehicles digging out the surface climbing up this first steep section. The road there is narrow up against a granite rock wall and there are dangerous spots in the surface a low clearance vehicle can smash the underside on if they don't roll up the section wisely. Until the road turns east, it is not too bad however not for the acrophobic as off to the right the slope drops off steeply, so go slow. After turning east are 2 hills to climb that sometimes are full of loose rocks plus holes in the road one needs to avoid.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.33742,-119.00052&z=19&t=S

Oh yeah common to see rattlesnakes along the road and at the DD.
aztecapiramide
Topix Newbie

Post by aztecapiramide »

Thanks to all of you for the great info. We'll be taking the trip towards the end of July.

SSSdave - What a coincidence earlier on Tuesday during my research on Bear Creek I came across your website, great pictures and and great information on trips in the Eastern Sierra. Thank you.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

I drove this in 2002 in a Honda Civic and made it, but busted the muffler. In 2021 I drove it again, and the road has deteriorated a lot. We had a Subaru Crosstrek, and it struggled sometimes but it made it. We had to do some planning and guiding a few times. The smell of burning rubber added an element of excitement. Several more beefy vehicles were at the dam, and they probably had an easier time. You need a car with a lot of clearance and a lot of power. On the bright side, the Bear Creek trail is freakishly beautiful, with some excellent camp sites, and the swimming is sublime.