Ladder Lake via Hester Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
I need to respond to comments you & giantbrookie left on an earlier post I made, but just for the record, I too have looked longingly at the route you're about to do, but have only nibbled at parts of it. I went over Rambaud Pass ages ago and that was pretty dramatic, and I've sort of tinkered with ideas of working my way high through that entire area (from Black Giant down to the Devil's washbowl). But, the more important tidbit is that if you're planning to visit the lake 10585 that's up the drainage I think you're planning to take, be prepared for a very interesting encounter going around the lake. It may be easier in low snow, but when my wife and I went through there about 4 years ago, we circled the north side of the lake (the south side included a patch of snow that extended into the lake and my wife hates traversing those things). About 2/3 of the way around (we were coming from Marion Lakes via Dumbell) there is a collection of boulders the size of school buses that drop into the lake. The water was too deep to wade around the mess (at least, at the time we did it). It was a helluva climb to get around it, and as I mentioned, the other side was a no go for the boss. So, we spent roughly 90 min doing some very weird contortions to get around the obstacle (and 90 min for 100 meters is SLOW!). It's one of those things where just when you think you're on cruise control, the whammy strikes. Part of the fun of those areas, I guess. Lastly, as for the hike up to Barrett Lakes, I agree with GB that it's a cool route, but having done it only going down, I'd have to say, I'd recommend the down direction versus up. Having recently botched the ascent to Lake Catherine (coming up to Ritter and Banner from the west), I can vouch for the fact that it's usually easier to pick one's way down rather than up (and thus avoid cursing someone). Regardless, I hope it's a great trip!
cgundersen
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks C for the 411, but my trip got canceled.
I have descended Barrett Creek and was looking forward to ascending
this time it after 20 some years later, oh well.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
First, sorry to hear about the cancellation; I hope you get a chance to do this route some other time, because I'd be keen to hear how it works out (including the scramble up to the Barrett Lakes basin). Second, I just want to apologize for confusing you with Trailblazer in the responses to a post I'd made (which you subsequently responded to anyway...).
cgundersen
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Sorry to hear it, Maverick. That sounded like an amazing trip. Hope you've got something else planned this summer.