A Question about Mount Langley ...and Mount Hitchcock

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

A Question about Mount Langley ...and Mount Hitchcock

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

So after being able to snag a permit I have a long (for me) trip planed in August, Langley to Whitney! Two other friends and I are making the trek, I am working on the logistical side of things so I was wondering about the difference between the new and old army pass. Does anyone know if old army pass is typically clear of snow (or can be traveled with minimal skill and trekking poles) in Early August (1st-2nd) I would much rather show them cottonwood basin and go up the old army pass than to take a trail ive never been on before (south fork trail) and camp up at high lake. We are planning to go summit Langley, then go through miter basin, into crabtree lakes then down and around to one of the lakes on the west side of Whitney, then summit Whitney and head out. I was also wondering if anyone has gone up to mount Hitchcock from the south (Crabtree lakes side), I have read that its class 1/2, just steep and annoying as hell. Google maps and other peoples pictures support that but some direct first hand accounts would be nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----
Everyone has a happy place.
Mine is Tulainyo Lake at Sunset.
I do hope to make it back there one day.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A Question about Mount Langley ...and Mount Hitchcock

Post by Jimr »

OAP should be fine come Aug 1-2. Nothing special needed.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I would seek a trip report closer to the event. I like Old Army but it is very rough in spots and giant boulders could take out sections of the trail today...or tomorrow. Rangers don't like sending people there, probably also because of the death event a few years ago, so they may all advise not doing it. It's generally fine, but you and your friends have to be comfortable potentially skirting some large rocks or trail blow-outs in some reasonably steep places.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I agree. Old Army Pass should be OK by August. Note that it will not be perfect. I don't think that it has been maintained in years. Last time I was there, all sorts of boulders had slid down across the trail. Multiply that by some snow and it can get pretty dicey. It is shorter than New Army Pass, though, especially if you are headed for Mount Langley.

Originally, Old Army Pass was the way to go. However, it is north-facing, so winter snow would hang there through too much of the summer. So, they constructed New Army Pass. It is south-facing, so the snow melts off more predictably, even if you have to ascend a few hundred feet higher.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OAP should be fine, if not, then go NAP, the main point is to stay within your comfort levels and not get in over your head. Here is a video of a group going up Mount Hitchcock from Crabtree Meadow area, it is a pretty easy scramble up the sandy class 1 slopes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwoPSTLtc5c
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dmasten
Topix Novice

Post by Dmasten »

South Fork trail is unmaintained and the last 1/4 mile or so is difficult to follow. The blue route you show is off trail from the South Lakes outlet to Long Lake (or at least I've never seen a trail in that area). The maintained route is the New Army Pass Trail that goes along lakes 1 & 2. If you do go to New Army Pass, I'd camp at Long Lake rather than High lake as it is less exposed.

What map did you use for the illustration?
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by apeman45 »

It's been a while but I seem to remember having to navigate a boulder field on the south lakes trail on my way to Long Lake. I never actually saw a trail so I was probably off route. Not particularly scenic and took longer than the lovely trail along the cottonwood lakes.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

There are some cairns I found last year just west of the middle (kiddie pool) South Fork Lakes that skirt the boulder fields. The route is actually pretty close to the blue line on your map just past the lower SF Lake. It looks like a sandy wash, and the walking is much easier than struggling over the boulder field. I was pretty stoked to find a much easier route from the lower SF lake to the upper. Boulder hopping that area gets stale real quick.

You want to be on the left (west) side of the lower SF Lake, that is where the trail goes, on up to Cirque Lake. Just stay on the left around SF Lake to the NW end, then look for the small sandy drainage that follows all the way up to the west of the outlet of the upper SF Lake.

John