Cookies

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Cookies

Post by oldhikerQ »

Some of you have mentioned that cookies make it into your food supply.
I'm curious, what kind of cookies are favored?
I don't like real sweet cookies, so if some kind of cookie makes in into my bear canister, they are almost always fig newtons.
Sweet dreams!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Cookies

Post by freestone »

Not exactly a cookie, but I dehydrate homemade banana nut bread then have that as an after dinner treat with some Starbucks Via decaf (The best decaf I have ever had!)
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

For cookies, I have to first set my priorities. Do I want something with lots of calories, or something sweet, or something easily digestible, or something with lots of protein, or something that won't go stale in a week or two? Right now my favorite has to be Quinoa Cookies, because they have all of these priorities. Plus, since I bake them myself, I can optimize them for size and shape so that they fit a bear canister nicely.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sounds yummy! Can you show us the recipe?
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Costco has a Costco sized package of dark chocolate Milanos, in individual 2 cookie packages. For me, in the evening, after dinner, 1 package of Milanos and a cup of hot chocolate is just right.

ETA: here's some on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pepperidge-Farm- ... anos&psc=1
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Sounds yummy! Can you show us the recipe?
This is the recipe on the package of quinoa flakes (not raw quinoa):
Quinoa cookie recipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I trust major food chains to put plenty of preservatives into their cookies so they will last from purchase to the time I consume them weeks later on the trail. My recent favorites are the bulk pack (12-packs) from Costco, mixed flavors. I put what I need for a coffee and cookies breakfast into vacuum sealed packs with a piece of wax paper in between. They get a bit squished by the vacuum and will stick together without the paper. Next to Pop Tarts and slightly healthier Belvita cookies, I've packed these for longer trips in recent years. No issues with these even 3 weeks after purchase.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Baking fresh chocolate chip cookies on the trail was a joy. Either in a covered fry pan in a bed of coals, or in an Optimus/Optima oven on low simmer on the stove. I loved baking on the trail the way some people love fishing. It was a way to kick back and relax.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Munk Cookies.
https://www.amazon.com/Munk-Pack-Double ... okies&th=1
serving size 1/2 cookie = 180 calories.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

A couple of years ago I became a big fan of Griffins Gingernuts. They are essentially the same as ginger snaps but with a difference. First, they aren't overly sweet. Second, they are extremely durable. Most other cookies end up getting damaged in the bear canister or in my pack but the Griffins are nearly unbreakable. Unfortunately there aren't available in the U.S., at least not that I'm aware of. And overseas shipping is too costly for me to entertain ordering them. So I've been considering an attempt to duplicate them in my kitchen. I suspect it will not be easy.