Lamarck Col and Darwin Lakes 7.28.07

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Lamarck Col and Darwin Lakes 7.28.07

Post by Ranboze »

Lamarck Col has been on my wish list for a long time, and like many others, I was unsure of the route. On my dayhike over the Col and down to the Lakes yesterday, I waypointed some key spots, like the stream crossing, and added them to my track map (see photos).

The route was actually, not bad at all. There is a nice camp at the west end of Upper Lamarck Lake, and from this point on the trail is very well constructed and ez to follow. The only other potentially confusing segment is identification of the actual col. There are several "u" shaped notches that could be the col. My hiking partner, Ben, said he didn't remember the Col being signposted last time he was there, but it now is. The pocket glacier was firm for the morning ascent, and by early afternoon, was soft and well trodden from several people entering and exiting over the col.

The view from the Col is just spectacular... one of my favorites. The climb up the west face of the Col was steeper than the east side and a lot of grunt work; I was very glad to be carrying just a daypack. The morning was cloudless until about 0830 when white puffies became increasingly more present. A little rain from about 1:30-3:30; no thunder.

On the descent, we detoured off piste just after interesecting with the Grass Lakes trail over to a tarn, then crossed the stream coming out of Grass Lake, and followed the well trodden fisherman's trail. This was a nice variant, and intersected the North Lake Road about 30 yards from the road to the packstation/TH parking. Sweet.

Lamarck Col Photos and map with waypoints
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
CSF
Topix Acquainted

Post by CSF »

Very nice! In early May I went up to Lower Lamarck Lake, was still frozen over then. Looks like a great trip up there! I was on Agassiz yesterday and there was rain all around but only got a couple of sprinkles. Thanks for sharing your pics!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

Thanks for the timely route indicators. Wife 'n I are heading there week from today. Was going to do N to S Lakes but after our little bout a couple of weeks ago w/the High Sierra Trial wifes orders were to not be so aggresive with the time we had, so we're going down into Evo Valley, maybe over to McGee Lakes and veg for a couple of days, climb the Black Giant as a day hike, see the sights then head back out the Col to the parking lot. I have to remember to have my trips idiot proofed by someone over 50 to make sure I know how to plan a route, I guess. But by your pics and all acounts I think the Col is do-able for us starting from one of the Lamarck Lakes.
Hope the rain ceases in a week...
Perry
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Beautiful pictures Robin - I really like the pictures of Darwin Lakes. I've been up to the Col and Mount Lamarck, but never over down into Darwin Canyon/Basin - I hope to get there eventually.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

At 5k a lot of vertical to take on for just one day so you must be in rather excellent condition.

Went through all your pics. We just backpacked there last summer, my fifth trip over that col, so your images were quite familliar. Once one reaches your turn around point at Darwin Canyon lake #4 where climbing parties often camp, it is still rather unpleasant reaching lake #3 as one has to climb through a wide area of large awkward talus on the north side of that lake. For backpackers, Darwin Bench at the bottom of the canyon is one of the Sierra's finest locales to basecamp. ...David
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Thanx everyone. Coming up the Col from the west without having gone over it can be quite confusing. Several folks we saw exiting this route as we were headed down to Darwin Lakes inquired about location of the "col". So, I hope the pix from the west is helpful.

I didn't think the stats for the hike were that impressive... ~12 mi, 5K up and 5Kdown indeed, but I was sure beat. I attributed much of it to forgetting my lunch in the cooler... so all I had to eat was Cliff Shot gel thingys and energy bars. Ben shared some honey beef jerky and some cheese... so most all the food I had was all sugar laced, which got real old by 2pm. My ham and turkey sammy sure tasted good upon arrival back to the car at 4:30.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Robin- Very nice! Wow. I will use your photos if I go - very clear and helpful. Thanks!
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Sooz - I'd like to go back and grab Lamarck Peak :unibrow:
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Robin- When???
Phil R
Topix Acquainted

My favorite pic

Post by Phil R »

I celebrated my 55th birthday on Lamarck Col with my son!! Great way to enter "seniorhood" without feeling old!!

Caught some fabulous 14" goldens at one of the middle Darwin Lakes using super dupers...yummy.

We came out over Lamarck Col, not in. I think that was easier than the other direction.
People are friendly at 6000 ft...and the higher you go, the friendlier they get.