rotten bottom, Moffat hills, the border area of Scotland

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

rotten bottom, Moffat hills, the border area of Scotland

Post by edhyatt »

rotten bottom, Moffat hills

The breakfast duo take some long overdue exercise in squelchy heaven…..

The Plan.

Yes, the plan.

To get el to a point where breakfast is at least 10 miles away; ingenuity required. Me too. Need some steel in these legs.

An early afternoon taxi gets us to the environs of Megget reservoir from whence we sally forth towards Lochcraig Head (a Donald, no less - please tick). I don’t even know what a Donald is….and could care less.

The initial track is a good way to gain height into the somewhat pleasant day; the weight of the lunchtime (ahem) ballast, however, is an ever-present gravity check.

It’s all good until its goo; this is the case when we leave the path and wander onto my ‘imagined’ route…which is where I think there should be one. There is. Thanks sheep. Always good to get one’s navigation tips from a dumb ruminant…room (sic) for a joke there…

It’s very wet up here. Looks like Northumberland but holds a lot more water (must check underlying geology).

After some time bog-hopping off-piste we drop to a semblance of firmer tread overlooking the somewhat wonderous Winterhope Burn. All is well…with el…

…especially as this little newly born fella thinks el is a parent…and follows us, much to the distress of baaaaing real mum.

Down to a sheepfold. ‘Lunch’. At least a kilo off the pack-weight.

And then upwards to our ordained bivouac site…we are heading for the hill split by the wall above my compatriots head. Sloooowly.

At about 700m a halt is called to collect some rather ‘bitty’ water; subsequent progress is a tad more slow…

You could get most of a music festival set up on this summit…

Update on the baby lamb….

With rain coming in atmosphere abounds…

The timing of the day is good. The light slips away as the rain arrives….driving me into the tent to eat (not my favourite as it is all cramped up)…but at least I can feign deafness to the constant bleating from nearby - ‘wasn’t that little lambsy-wambsy the cutest’? Oh please.

Earplugs.

An homage to Mark Rothko.

As luck would have it… rain falls all night, on occasion heavily. Yet our stadium pitch is fine as the winds are light to nothing…in all it promotes slumber.

At 5am it is still coming down so a film is partaken; bored with that coffee and kuchen are prepared…the film is more syrupy than the baklava.

The pitter-patter relents as we strike camp; the views slightly different from the fine clear evening of yesterday. Yet these mists too are illusory, as they comprise but a little low early morn cloud…the day becomes fine later.

Fine open ridges ensue; all rather damp underfoot….

Looking back to our bivouac site.

el revelling in the titular ‘Rotten Bottom’ – the map describes this morass pretty well.

..and so to Hart Fell (another Donald; let the tribe increase…)

Really………………………………………………………………………welcoming

I pause only to pay homage to the noble pork-pie..

And that is about it…really. We drop down from here to a couple of Kms on a country track, a little tired of soaking feet and watching every step.

Besides, the young lad needs his breakfast.

Obviously.

rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: rotten bottom, Moffat hills, the border area of Scotland

Post by rightstar76 »

Those are really nice pictures. Especially the sunset picture and the one in the valley with the sheep and clouds.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

With all that standing water, do you get mosquitoes? Looks like one could get lost if it fogged in. Do you carry a GPS?

Beautiful photos. Thanks.
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks.

Not mosquitoes...the lovely Scottish Midge starts about now though; they are vicious https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/midge-season/

I do most of my navigation with the GPS on my phone (and before anyone chimes in...yes, I can use a map and compass :) )
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Those midges sound a lot like the "black flies", which are really Buffalo Gnats, in the Wind River Mountains where they have a short but intense season, 1-2 weeks after snowmelt. There are also face-swarming flies in the Sierra, especially down in Tehipite Valley. Nasty little things. Although I am a mosquito magnet, surprisingly, the gnats do not bite me, but the bites are much worse than mosquitoes- more like a tick bite. Other people I know get horribly bitten by these gnats. Even if not bitten, the face-swarming is miserable.