ladies pack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ladies pack

Post by bobby49 »

MountainMinstrel wrote:Almost there, thanks for the help. I was concerned about the availability of small sizes at REI. I was leaning that way because of the great return policy. I'm not sure if she will find the experience of backpacking as awesome as I do and money is rather tight so I hate the idea of buying something that will never really be used.

Bobby49, she will be carrying her clothes sleeping bag/pad and food for a week with a bear can. going to try to stay as light as possible for her, but still going to be 25-30lbs. We'll get some shorter trips in before the big one to help with getting things sorted out for her.
The bear can is an important factoid. Some backpacks are too narrow to handle one. You probably need to get dimensions on that bear can to be sure.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: For carrying 25 pounds, you should be able to keep the pack weight about 2 -3 pounds.
They are pricey, but some cuben fiber packs will be about 1 pound for that capacity.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you get the $$$ cuben fiber pack and she ever tires of backpacking, sell it to me!! I cannot afford to buy one of those new. :)
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:If you get the $$$ cuben fiber pack and she ever tires of backpacking, sell it to me!! I cannot afford to buy one of those new. :)
FWIW, I invested in a cuben fiber backpack about five years ago, and I've never regretted it. It is 100% waterproof, so I don't need a separate pack cover. In fact, the thing is so water tight that I might use it as a float to get across a difficult stream. Mine weighs about 15 ounces for 30-pound capacity.