Other focal length other than 20mm?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
dbogey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Other focal length other than 20mm?

Post by dbogey »

Heading out this August to Milestone, Wright Lakes, Wallace areas with my daughter for 7 days with a Nikon D810, a 20/1.8, and one other lens.

Any recommendations on a focal length(s) for my second lens? I'll have a tripod and plan on doing panos
Just another day in paradise
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Other focal length other than 20mm?

Post by maverick »

Do you have several lenses already to choose from, or are you considering purchasing one? A sharp copy of the Sigma Art 24-105 or Nikon 24-120 lens would be my choice, but you will have to start looking for a good (sharp) copy now, copies vary a lot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

I have some old school NIKKOR Lenses (105 and 135 AI-s ), a NIKKOR 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5, and the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 that are options to compliment the 20mm. I want to limit the lenses to 2 and possibly throw in my 50mm pancake since its so light and small.
Just another day in paradise
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well, when someone has several lenses, I tell my landscape photography students to look at the focal lengths that they shoot at the most (favorite photo's), and take a lens or lenses to cover those lengths.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

maverick wrote:Do you have several lenses already to choose from, or are you considering purchasing one? A sharp copy of the Sigma Art 24-105 or Nikon 24-120 lens would be my choice, but you will have to start looking for a good (sharp) copy now, copies vary a lot.
Educate me. How do you tell a sharp copy from a not so sharp copy? Are you looking at pictures made by the lens, or....?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Educate me. How do you tell a sharp copy from a not so sharp copy? Are you looking at pictures made by the lens, or....?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/ph ... -your-lens :)

The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, Mav. So I assume you have to purchase the lens and then test. If it's not a "sharp copy" do you then return it ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If it's not a "sharp copy" do you then return it ?
Yes, if it does not pass the testing it gets returned, sometimes this may take 4-5 tries. I need a great copy, the quality of my work would suffer otherwise, which in turn would tarnish my rep and ruin my business.