New To the Sierras. HELP!!! AHHH!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chrisfogg
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

New To the Sierras. HELP!!! AHHH!

Post by chrisfogg »

I dont mess around when it comes to camping...I drive up to and camp out 100 yards from the wilderness gate in the trinity alps. I stay for 14 days eating the stuff I can catch/shoot or my beans...

That being said I need a challenge. I want to go somewhere I can get so far in... and be so remote that the likeliness of seeing anyone is not to good! I want to live on fish and bunny stew (or beans urg!) I need fire...so restrictions worry me. Hunting needs to be allowed (not deer or other big game). Are the sierras for me? Where Should I go in...Any suggestions!

-chris
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Canada
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Siberia
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Walmart parking lot. For adventure, walk any mountain/country road for roadkill. Yum, yum.
Piece of cake.
chrisfogg
Topix Newbie

Post by chrisfogg »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Phil R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Phil R »

Frankly, the Sierras would not be for you. The "Leave No Trace" wilderness ethic is expected in the National Forests, Wilderness Areas, and National Parks in the Sierras.

Fishing would be OK, but hunting (if allowed) would be out of season probably when you want to go. Frankly, I do not see small edible game in the Sierras very much. I am not positive, but I suspect trapping is generally banned in the Sierras as well.

Fires are only allowed in certain places and because of the very dry winter there are additional fire restrictions in many forests (e.g., Eastern Sierras).

They kind of wilderness experience you want is best found in less populated states than California. Many of these states have open forest land with fewer restrictions.
People are friendly at 6000 ft...and the higher you go, the friendlier they get.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I am not a hunter and I realize that there aren't too many hunters among those who frequent this board, but, in fairness, small game and nongame hunting, which is what chrisfogg is referring to, is open pretty much everywhere except in National Parks, and specific refuges and special regulations areas. Unlike deer and other big game that have very restricted seasons, small game and nongame can be taken anytime of the year except where specifically prohibited. To illustrate, the following is an example excerpted from the current DFG hunting regulations posted on the DFG website:
§309. Jack Rabbits, Black-Tailed and White-Tailed.
(a) General Season and Area: The general season shall be open statewide all year.
(b) Bag and Possession Limit: No limit.

To the best of my knowledge (and mind you I'm not a hunter so I haven't studied the regs. in fine detail) most of the Sierra is open, including wilderness areas (as you are aware big game hunting is legal pretty much everywhere in the Sierra except the National Parks--this includes all of the federal wilderness areas); no hunting of any sort is allowed in the NPs. Trapping of fur-bearing animals (a restricted set of mammals as defined by DFG) is also allowed, but it is not allowed for small game (as defined by DFG). The regs in much of the Sierra are not going to differ much from the Trinity Alps where chrisfogg described "living off the land".

I am reminded of an encounter my wife and I had with this rather cheery fellow hiking down the Shepherd Pass trail below Anvil Camp with a .22 strapped to his pack. This guy seemed to have this pathological hatred of marmots--I don't know why (he liked marmots about as much as Elmer Fudd liked Bugs Bunny). And he also liked eating them--really. He said he basically would shoot a marmot and make marmot stew, which he found delicious. I just checked in the regs. and so far as I can tell, the marmot hunter's actions were legal (marmots fall into the category of what are called "non game animals" in the DFG definitions).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chrisfogg
Topix Newbie

Post by chrisfogg »

AAaahhhh! Someone who understands. I love fish...I would eat trout all 20 days or so...Sometimes I get so sick of beans and emergency food rations that a bunny sound pretty damn good! Don't hate me cuz I hunt...I don't hunt big game...ever...yet! And in response to "leave no trace"...I eat the whole damn thing!

I have been studying a map and think that entering John Muir around bishop will be the first step in my trip! ANY input has been/will be appreciated!!!

-CHRIS
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

brookie is pretty close regarding game issues - game birds too have a season though. also no fires above 10k feet and need to check specific areas for additional fire restrictions.

as far as going where there are no people - good luck heading in from Eastern Sierras. you may try White Mountains - poss Dubois or Montgomery areas - but that means no fishing. so you have to decide what is most important.
Last edited by tomcat_rc on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

There are lots of jack rabbits in the White Mountains, also the Inyos - all you have to do is drive down one of the dirt roads at night and you should be able to run over your dinner as it stares into your headlights. :)