Gear for Lone Pine Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Bjorn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Gear for Lone Pine Peak

Post by Bjorn »

Hi all!

I'm planning to summit Lone Pine Peak along a route suitable for hiking in early/mid June. I'm still in the early stages of planning (only read a few blog posts such as https://www.summitpost.org/lone-pine-peak/150606 ) but since I'm travelling to CA from overseas this time I'm considering the necessity to bring winter gear.

Would ice axe/crampons/microspikes or the like normally be helpful that time of year on LPP? Thanks in advance!

Best/Bjorn
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Gear for Lone Pine Peak

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Depends on the route. I have climbed it from the North Fork of Tuttle Creek early season (I really cannot remember exact dates because it was a long time ago). The south slopes of the mountain were dry. The snow along the creek actually is helpful since there are lots of willows, and easier when covered with snow; I recall more bushwhacking than snow. We did not have ice axe or crampons. If you plan to climb the north side from Myson Lake, conditions will be similar to that on the switchbacks to Trail Crest for Whitney. The Whitney Portal Forum has lots of detailed information on that. Generally need ice axe and crampons. If you do hit snow it will likely be steep enough that micro-spikes will not be sufficient.
Bjorn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Gear for Lone Pine Peak

Post by Bjorn »

Great, many thanks!