My Favorite Hypothetical Question

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: My Favorite Hypothetical Question

Post by Rockyroad »

I really expected a higher response for option 2,, which makes "Running Out of Food" a moot thread. I do enjoy my food but can't ignore the energy and time saved by not having to shop for groceries, cook, clean... There have been evenings where my wife and I ask each other what we should have for dinner and actually comment on the merits of never having to eat. The obvious benefits for backpackers is not having to plan meals, carry a bear canister, find water, treat water, dig cat holes... Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Rockyroad wrote:The obvious benefits for backpackers is not having to plan meals, carry a bear canister, find water, treat water, dig cat holes... Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me.
Not quite. You're still required by law to have a bear canister in certain areas. Not having food in it isn't a sufficient defense, at least not without a note from your doctor.

And nowhere in the hypothetical scenario is elimination mentioned. You can't just assume those things. For that matter, option 2 only says that you won't have hunger or thirst and will never eat or drink again. It doesn't say anything about what other effect that might have on you. In fact, option 2 is a state we will all achieve in time.

I think it pays to have a lawyer go over the fine print before telling the genie your wish.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I assume the hypothetical question is so hypothetical that with it would be a hypothetical world and a hypthetical body that takes care of all those pesky side effects. If you no longer do #2, no TP needed either! No trowel. And of course hypothetical regulations would accomdate these hypothetical backpackers. Special "android" backpack permits. You only get a ticket if they catch you peeing.

Always wondered about the bear can requirement if you do not carry any food.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I assume the hypothetical question is so hypothetical that with it would be a hypothetical world and a hypthetical body that takes care of all those pesky side effects.
If that's the case and you can assume any negative side effect is taken care then there's no reason not to choose option 2. But it turns it into a non-question. Kind of like, would you prefer stay as you are or be better?

Wandering Daisy wrote:Always wondered about the bear can requirement if you do not carry any food.
I think it would fall into the same category as day hiking with a full pack. That is, a ranger wouldn't be able to tell if you were lying and were carrying and camping with food earlier in the trip.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Here's the first part of a hypothetical question I've asked fellow climbers.

Suppose there were a drug that you could take that would give you significantly increased strength, endurance, sense of balance, mental clarity, and longevity. There are no side effects. Long-term studies have shown zero negative effects from taking this drug. It is inexpensive and just about everybody else is already taking it.

Would you take this drug?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Longri, I think you are missing the point of why people choose "1". It is not only the nasty side-effects. In fact, I suspect even if there were NO side effects, they simply LIKE food and drink and all the associated culture that goes with it, and are not willing to give up the daily pleasures of most of their days vs a ligher backpack or even to be free of the associated chores of food and drink.

As for you other hypothetical question, if about everyone is already taking it, and I probably fall in that group of "about everybodey", this is a non-question. Not sure what you are getting at.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Rhyang,
I'm sorry you've had to experience this. I hope you're able to eat solid foods again soon. This reminds me of a blog post by the late movie critic Roger Ebert wrote after he couldn't eat any type of food.
https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/nil-by-mouth
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Thanks for that. I've read that many people who have had the g-tube experience did so because of throat / neck cancer. Fortunately, that was not the case for me. Unfortunately, I don't think things will ever be "right again". As a doctor told me with a long sigh, "it is what it is". My spine has twenty (20) bone screws, a couple of rods, and a plate in various places.

That said, I just got back from a four day trip in the Henry Coe backcountry. Just about perfect weather, caught several dozen fish, and hiked about 45 miles / 7500' elevation gain. I packed powdered protein shakes, gu, powdered yogurt, oatmeal, cream of wheat, some more protein powder, protein bars (of a variety I can swallow) and Trader Joe's oatmeal & coconut chocolate chip cookies. Oh yes, I can still eat chocolate, small victory. Dinners were a couple things of instant mashed potatoes and a soft pasta dish for variety.

I think most of us as we age are going to experience "things will never be the same" moments. Just another part of life's journey.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

That said, I just got back from a four day trip in the Henry Coe backcountry.
Is there a TR with pictures coming? :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Thanks for sharing Rhyang. I had a very mild "things will never be the same" moment when I fractured my ankle after a period of inactivity. I was so used to being rusty for a week and then everything would be terrific. That's when I realized I wasn't 18 anymore and further along in life's journey than I wanted to admit. Bummer.