Spam or Cliff bars?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Spam or Cliff bars?

Post by oldhikerQ »

I haven't had Spam in ages. Not sure why, since it was a staple of family camping trips in the 60's. Never took it backpacking because of cans (bulky). May have to try one of the foil packages just for nostalgia's sake. I'm indifferent to Cliff bars. They appear on my menu once in a while, but never seem to make it into my bear can.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Mav,
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for your new back country menu.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Mav,
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for your new back country menu.
Me too! :)
Probably mostly Indian based.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I've gone vegetarian on trips many times, mainly because my wife is a vegetarian. We do take some cheese but I don't think we'd miss it that much. Vegetarian meals can be delicious and there's way more variety than with meat dishes. It's even more true in the backcountry since there are all sorts of vegetarian foods that are dry or can be dried whereas dried or canned meat is generally a big disappointment.

In many ways I think it's easier than planning meat based meals.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

longri wrote:I've gone vegetarian on trips many times, mainly because my wife is a vegetarian. We do take some cheese but I don't think we'd miss it that much. Vegetarian meals can be delicious and there's way more variety than with meat dishes. It's even more true in the backcountry since there are all sorts of vegetarian foods that are dry or can be dried whereas dried or canned meat is generally a big disappointment.

In many ways I think it's easier than planning meat based meals.
No doubt about that at all. Just walk into any decent grocery store with a good dried food section and the bigger variety in choices of vegetable vs meat becomes obvious. Even freeze dried manufacturers offer more vegetable side dishes, and really, no stand-alone meat packages that I've ever seen. If you're looking for freeze dried meat, fish, poultry, you usually find the best selections at Asian/Korean markets, or you just figure out how to prepare and use jerked meats that you dehydrate at home in your recipes.

If you want the protein as a vegetarian, also being a pescatarian really helps; from tuna packets, to smoked and pickled fish, all the way to whatever you can catch. We tweak what we eat for the better with some sort of fish and a few spices all the time. The worst and most unfulfilling MH Pasta Primavera or Chicken a la King becomes an entirely new experience with a little tuna, trout, or even some smoked baby oysters if you don't mind hauling the tin.

You might want a big steak when you get back, but I never understand it when people resign themselves to lugging around and choking down crappy food either because they think they have to or for want of a little creativity.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

apeman45 wrote:I've always joked that they look like they've already passed through someone's digestive track.
This reminds me of a story that will amuse readers who dislike Clif Bars. One night I was camping at a Bay Area campground. Having had a good evening at my favorite pub in Hayward I headed into my tent and quickly fell asleep forgetting that I had all my daytime snack food in my cooler outside of my tent (along with a couple of bottles of wine for having with BBQ later during the trip). In the middle of the night I hear my cooler get knocked over. I was pretty sure this was a raccoon but I had forgotten I had left anything edible in there (only remembered the wine) so I didn't think anything of it until I awoke the next morning and surveyed the carnage. The raccoon or group of them had indeed knocked over my cooler and had broken into every Clif Bar I had plus each bag of nuts (almonds, macadamias). Whereas some nuts were left I wasn't about to eat them now that they'd been slobbered over by the raccoon(s). Mournfully I started cleaning up the mess following and picking up a trail of Clif Bar wrappers. Well, about the 30 feet from the cooler things started to really get bad....Apparently Clif Bars don't agree with raccoons. From that point down the campground road was a trail of Clif Bar puke. So I can honestly say I have seen what Clif Bars look like when they've gone partly down an animal's digestive tract (and rebounded back).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I will take SPAM over a clif bar personally
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'll eat anything. If I like it, I'll lick the plate. If I love it, I'll eat the plate.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

SNOOOOW wrote:I will take SPAM over a clif bar personally
Me too, but I just can't type in those words that suggest consuming Spam. I'll let the zombies eat me.

And it's not that I'm a snob. I've been known to lick the greasy, salty lid of the pot after popping popcorn. And when going stoveless I often take mayonnaise packets and consume them like Clif shots. They are so good as chasers for 151 proof Demerara rum.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

longri wrote:
And it's not that I'm a snob. I've been known to lick the greasy, salty lid of the pot after popping popcorn.
I never thought of that. [as i'm digging out the whirlypop]