Pyramid Peak Desolation 9,983 Hike 6/23/07 Before the Fire

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Pyramid Peak Desolation 9,983 Hike 6/23/07 Before the Fire

Post by madeintahoe »

The day before the fire started burning homes and the beautiful forest here in Tahoe....Kerstin and I day hiked Pyramid Peak...I don't know what I was thinking..I must be nutty :retard: ...we did it the steepest way!
Up Rocky Creek Canyon..this is the shortest way to get to the peak..you gain over 4000 feet in just three miles, I really felt the steepness of it on the way out..my poor knees...and boy did I feel it the next day :crybaby: I did not take to many pictures..the 1st half of the hike you are in a steep dense forest so not to much to see.

The final section to the peak you climb up a big boulder slope..it was quite windy on this section so we had to really pay attention to your footing on each boulder..the wind was knocking us around a bit. It was nice we shared the peak with a few very sweet adorable Marmots. :D
This was my 4th time on Pyramid, last time was about 10 years ago, so it was very nice to be there again. The views are really nice, you get a great look at Lake Aloha and that area. We had a beautiful view looking at the Tahoe area..and to think the very next day the skies would be full of smoke from a fire! So very sad.
We did not find a summit register..does anyone know if there is one up there?
My pictures of our hike http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559689612LAazox
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I signed the register years ago, at least 10 years ago. We hiked over from Lake of the Woods, started on the east side, worked around to the south/southwest side and caught the trail up to Pyramid. Kinda smoggy when the dog and I were up there.
Piece of cake.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Anita - great pictures - and that sure does sound steep. It must have been awful up there once that fire started.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Duane....I have not been up that way..I have heard of people going that way!
Kathy..you would have like the hike..even if it was steep :eek: my knees were sore the next day!
Thank you!