Singing 'round the campfire, back in the 60's....

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Singing 'round the campfire, back in the 60's....

Post by Rosabella »

I'm heading south at the end of the week to Yosemite area for the HSC trip with my sister.... and started to think about some of our camping trips from back in the early-to-mid 60's, and the Ranger-led Campfire Programs we used to go to in Yosemite and Sequoia. We would look forward to these on all our camping trips! The Rangers would tell stories, and then lead songs around the campfire.

Most of the songs were your typical "camping songs"... Smokey the Bear, I've Been Working on a Railroad, etc., but they also taught us a few not-so-typical songs.... like the "Sequoia" song (sang to the melody of Battle Hymme of the Republic) but our favorite was "The Tuolomne Meadow Store" - a song that poked fun at the quality of food sold at the store.

I was just curious if anyone else ever attended those campfires back then, and learned any of those renegade songs.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Allyn »

Hey Rosie. I was in the valley this morning and saw a book on campfire songs and I thought about this post! Didn't see any renegade songs but reminded me of the olden days of campfire songs and sitting around the campfire.

have fun next week. Weather has been a little cool and the T-storms just started. They are supposed to trail off by Thursday. Water is very low. No water coming over Yosemite Falls this morning, which changed our plans to hike down Yosemite Creek.

Let us know if you come up with any new songs! :lol: