Nancy Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Nancy Pass

Post by alpinemike »

TITLE: Nancy Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads from Superior Lake to the basin South of Deadhorse Pass along the Sierra High Route.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2-3

LOCATION: In the Ansel Adams Wilderness in the Inyo National Forest. To the Northwest of Superior Lake and along the ridge of Red top Mountain. HST Map

ELEVATION: 10,200

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Ritter

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: I know that there is a good deal of debate surrounding the location of Nancy Pass. I have seen multiple routes, some of which utilized the route I took and others that didn't. I did not find the plaque on top of the pass that is dedicated to Nancy. So that likely means my route is not considered the most standard one. My initial guess is the proper chute and pass is further Northwest along the ridge. This route to me looked steeper and more brushy than the one I took. But my route did involve some mild Class 3 climbing and route finding. I left Superior Lake and no more than a quarter mile decided to head up to the ridge. There was plenty of brush but it wasn't thick. Eventually it all gave way to ledges and quite a few cliffs. I avoided the cliffs and went further West until I picked my way through many Class 3 ledges and rock. Eventually it leveled out and the route was Class 2 talus to the top.

The North side is far more straightforward for my route as I went down the steep talus only a little ways and angled Northwest to keep as much elevation as possible. This is suggested by Roper and is highly useful unless your goal is to drop down to the meadows and not try and climb up to Deadhorse Pass and subsequently continue along the Sierra High Route. The initial drop off the pass is steep and definitely has loose rock, some of which is very large talus. But it quickly mellows out and you'l be walking along granite ledges and into a forest on your way to Deadhorse Pass.
000_4383.jpg
000_4385.jpg
000_4387.jpg
000_4386.jpg
000_4390.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;