Mount Rainier

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks everyone for the congrats.

Rosabella - I used Alpine Ascents this time because they had a 3-day climb that would allow me to stay at High Camp at Ingram Flats the 2nd night and they had a 1 guide to 2 client ratio. We had 8 clients and 4 guides on the trip. The guides were just great, really skilled, fun, and very kind and understanding - they all have climbed all over the world. One of the guides was Lapka Rita Sherpa who has summited Everest 10 times including this year.

The guides at RMI were great too, but it was 27 clients and 9 guides when I did it last year. They weren't able to tune into individual needs as much. Also, the trip I did with RMI was only 2-days, which was harder for me.

I wouldn't mind doing Rainier again eventually without guides, but I need to take a class that includes crevasse rescue skills first.

While we were headed up to Muir Camp the guides pointed out a lady to us and told us her name was Bronka and she was the oldest woman who had summited Rainier. She summited Rainier in 2001 at 77 and she's still out there climbing up to Muir at 83. That was a real inspiration.
Last edited by KathyW on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Congratulations Kathy! I have a question which is a little of topic.
Whats the status of the Wonderland Trail? I remember reading
it was totally wiped out in certain sections and they where asking
for volunteers to help start the recovery effort.
Did you see any signs of the devastation?
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Maverick: It was a fast trip. I flew into Seattle Friday afternoon. We headed out to Rainier National Park on Saturday morning and then started the climb. When we got back down to Paradise on Monday afternoon we headed back to Seattle and I flew home early on Tuesday morning.

Anyway, I don't have much info or see too much of the damage. We did see a little of the damage the flooding of the Nisqually River caused on the way to Paradise, but not damage to trails. The trails starting in Paradise that are melted out are in good condition but they aren't along the River. I have heard that they didn't issue permits for the Wonderland Trail this year due to the damage.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Kathy, was the Paradise Hotel still under construction?
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Ridgeline - The Paradise Hotel was still under construction. Next time I go up there I'd like to stay in it - that would be a lot better than staying at sea level in Seattle. Last year they said it would open in 2008, but it looks like they still have a lot of work left to do.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Kathy! Fantastic! Congratulations! Another great accomplishment, your determination is an inspiration! -S
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks again everyone.

Is anyone else is interested in taking a mountaineering course that includes crevasse rescue? I don't mind traveling to take it.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

I am waiting to go back for the brunch! Best brunch I have ever had, could have been my appetite after Rainier.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy!!!! Congratulations to you! That is so awesome :nod: ...you must be feeling great after that adventure!
Mount Rainier is a beautiful mountain it looks...Thank you for sharing your story and pictures.
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Kathy,
Congratulations! Way to go!! You did it! :thumbsup: :nod: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear about it in person.
Norma