Online photo services?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Online photo services?

Post by Rosabella »

I just got the notice that my online photo service , Photosite, is being discontinued the end of September. :( ... and that they've "teamed up" with Snapfish by HP, and (of course) are recomending them.

Some time ago there was a discussion here about online photo services and ones that people were using and satisfied with, but I scrolled thru the pages and couldn't find it.

Sooooo.... is anyone familiar with "Snapfish", or have any other recomendations for online photo services?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Online photo services?

Post by The Other Tom »

Rosabella wrote: Some time ago there was a discussion here about online photo services and ones that people were using and satisfied with, but I scrolled thru the pages and couldn't find it.
Look in the High Sierra Photography forum. Several threads at the top of the page on photo hosting websites....viewforum.php?f=17&sid=1d70ec050dcc31e082ffb679aa8d63c1
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Ahhh......Thanks Tom! I remembered reading it, but I thought it was in the "Campfire" index. I didn't think to look in Photography (duh.... :retard: )

P.S.
LOL! I just checked that site, and I had even posted on it! Oh, where is my memory going?
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

if you are looking into alternatives - I would not use flicker - word has been spreading that they too may be going away. at least your host was kind enough to give you warning. club photo pulled the plug on us without warning - guess they were afraid we might ask for some reimbursement for unused time.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

if you are looking into alternatives - I would not use flicker - word has been spreading that they too may be going away.
Tomcat, I am curious where you heard that flickr is going away. I do find that somewhat hard to fathom (this coming from a die hard flickr user though), but anything is possible.

As far as snapfish, in the past I did not like it because I had to register and log in to view peoples photos. Not that big of a deal, but I just thought it was kinda lame.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

SmugMug has been good!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Has anyone here ever used Picasa? A friend of mine swears by that service, but I don't recall hearing of anyone here using it.

http://picasa.google.com/
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I remembered reading that name so I went back to the "What Photo Hosting Site Do You Use" thread.... "Skywalker" said that he used Picaso2 and sounded like he was happy with it.

I'm leaning towards switching over to SmugMug. With as many pictures as Snow Nymph posts - if she's happy with it, then that says a lot! :nod:
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Flickr is not going away. It's Yahoo Photos that are going away.