Ralston 02/11/2018

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ralston 02/11/2018

Post by SNOOOOW »

With the lack of snow everywhere I decided to go hike up 1 of my favorite local peaks for some recon. We started on Hwy 50 and came up the south side and the trail is basically snow free for 75% of the way up. You don't really hit any snow until up towards the top and out of the trees. As you can see in the photos, lower echo lake is not even frozen and upper echo looks super thin. From the top of Ralston I could pretty much make out the trail (TRT/PCT) up to haypress meadows. I would bet you could easily walk out to Aloha with no real snow issues, maybe I will do that in the next few weeks for some more recon. This was my 1st peak of the year and I am glad it was short haha. It was SUPER windy and cold up top so we hung out for like 3 minutes and got the heck outta dodge. Still a very fun morning :drinkers:
Ralston 1.jpg
Ralston 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Ralston 02/11/2018

Post by TahoeJeff »

Your photos really show the lack of snow in the Tahoe area....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Sarcasm? Or simply a comment?
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

A sad observation on my part that Winter never really happened around here!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Ya I feel you. But look at the bright side and just think of how much fishing you'll be getting into without having to wait so long for the lakes to thaw. Plus as you already know, Winter could still show up with some big dumps.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Miracle March!!!

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the recon trip and photo's.
Echo snow free in Feb. :(
Some snow in the forecast for today and tomorrow, then on Wed in the Tahoe area, but sunny in the rest of the Sierra thru next weekend.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for the TR! How was the Ralston trailhead parking lot? Snow-free? Or did you park elsewhere?
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Parking completely snow free, the trail up is about 75% snow free. It did just snow maybe 2" max so there might be some snow now. Once you're up out of the trees on that final stretch to the summit then it's all snow but I did not even put any traction on, didn't need to.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by apeman45 »

I found this at the summit of Ralston in case you were missing it.
DSCF1455 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.