Red's Meadow Resupply vs Mammoth Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Red's Meadow Resupply vs Mammoth Lake

Post by dharter »

I was planning to resupply and overnight at Red's. After reviewing their requirements and browsing the website, I am now considering sending my package to Mammoth Lake General Delivery instead. Seems like it is relatively easy to get into town and you have a lot more options for meals, plus the ability to pick up canister fuel since it is not available at Red's.

I would appreciate input on this idea e.g. not as simple as it seems to get to town; better food at Red's; too much lost time; Mammoth hates smelly hikers :mad: etc.

Thanks.
Doug
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

There is something to be said for staying on the trail for the full 220 miles. (I'm making the assumption here that you are doing the JMT.)
Two alternatives present themselves.
1. Carry enough fuel from Tuolomne to carry you to the next resupply. And buy what you need at the Reds Meadow store. The supply is decent, with oatmeal, some freeze dried, and the like.
2. Hand deliver your resupply to Reds. When I did it in 2005 they held my package in the store for a fee of a dollar per day.

If you do it that way you don't even have to stay the night at Reds. Just pick up a few things for resupply, have a free spring-fed hot shower, eat a hamburger and be on your way.

Cheaper too.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

To get to town from Red's Meadow, you have to catch a shuttle bus to Mammoth Mountain ($7). I don't think the store at MM has fuel (could be wrong), but you'll probably have to catch another shuttle ( trolley ) into town. Then you'll have to find a store that sells camping supplies ( I think there's one across the street from Motel 6, or at least in that general area). Snow Nymph or others can direct you better than I can.
Personally, I get antsy waiting for shuttles. I'd rather be on the trail. I agree with the other poster, just leave a cache at the store at Red's , then pick it up on your way through.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

We left a cache at Reds Mdw. Btw, Red's has the BEST vanilla shakes!

Mammoth Mountaineering has fuel and anything you need for the back country. Its my favorite store in Mammoth.
http://www.visitmammoth.com/listings/in ... ubcatid=53
(list of stores: http://www.visitmammoth.com/listings/in ... n=showShop)

The shuttle from Red's (I think its still $7) will take you to the Mammoth Mountain Inn. You can get a shower for $5. From there you can take another shuttle (free) to town. You have to figure out which shuttle.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cherron
Topix Acquainted

mammoth vs reds

Post by cherron »

I have hand delivered my own resupply to Reds, and that way can include the fuel I need. Sometimes the Shuttle bus drivers will take your resupply for you, and sometimes they require you make the trip yourself.

The hot springs showers at Reds are mighty hot, with rustic-funky facilities, but still feels great. They are free, although they encourage a donation.

See you out there! I am starting at Crescent Mdw, but will be on the JMT from Tyndall Creek heading northbound. Leavine 8-24.

I had their cherry pie one time and it tasted pretty good!! Next time I will take Snow Nymph's recommendation and try a shake...yum!
eaglepdub
Topix Newbie

Post by eaglepdub »

Doug,

I seem to have a different view than most that are responding. I hiked the entire JMT last summer! Your going to have the time of your life.

Getting to Mammoth is very easy. There is a shuttle that picks up at Reds Meadow and Rainbow falls ever 30 minutes. (small charge) It drops you off at the top of the mountain, Then there is the Bike bus that takes you into Mammoth Lakes (free). Ask the bus driver she/he will tell you where to go. From that point the is a Trolley that runs all over town (free also). All the transportation runs continuosly (very cool)

Get yourself a hotel, hot meal, hot shower, wash your clothes, have a beer or two! You will be well rested and ready to continue your journey.

There is nothing wrong with taking a break from the trail for a day.