How far to Cloud's Rest from Tenya Lake ? From Sunrise HSC

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

How far to Cloud's Rest from Tenya Lake ? From Sunrise HSC

Post by The Other Tom »

I'm planning a trip for August and would like to do Cloud's Rest as a day hike. I can start from Tenya Lake trailhead, or from Sunrise HSC. Which would be shorter ?
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

My map (Tom Harrison--Half Dome) does not cover as far east as Sunrise, but it does list the distanse to it. It is 2.5 to Sunrise and 2.7 to Tenya.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I would presume that mileage is from Sunrise and Tenaya, respectively to the junction between the two trails a bit SW of the southwesternmost Sunrise Lake. The distance to Cloud's Rest itself is much farther than that, but south of that junction it is a common route (ie same mileage coming from Sunrise or Tenaya). The bottom line is that you are looking at about 16 mi. round trip and the distance is pretty much the same from Sunrise HSC or Tenaya. The net elevation gain from Sunrise is lower owing to the 1150' higher elevation of Sunrise HSC compared to Tenaya, but because you lose about 700 feet over one big hump and one small one down to the trail junction, the total gross elevation gain for the round trip is actually a bit more for Sunrise HSC (say by about 200').
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

giantbrookie wrote:I would presume that mileage is from Sunrise and Tenaya, respectively to the junction between the two trails a bit SW of the southwesternmost Sunrise Lake. The distance to Cloud's Rest itself is much farther than that, but south of that junction it is a common route (ie same mileage coming from Sunrise or Tenaya). The bottom line is that you are looking at about 16 mi. round trip and the distance is pretty much the same from Sunrise HSC or Tenaya. The net elevation gain from Sunrise is lower owing to the 1150' higher elevation of Sunrise HSC compared to Tenaya, but because you lose about 700 feet over one big hump and one small one down to the trail junction, the total gross elevation gain for the round trip is actually a bit more for Sunrise HSC (say by about 200').
Yes I should have made that clear. my bad :o

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.