SPAM

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SPAM

Post by maverick »

Who eat or eats spam while backpacking? What are your favorite recipes to make while backpacking? Fried Rice, Scalloped Potatoes and Cheese and SPAM, or maybe a soup? Do you use the freeze dried, dehydrate your own, or carry packaged SPAM?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: SPAM

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Walmart has SPAM in small packets (on the same shelf as the waterless tuna packets). They cost $1 and weigh 2.5 oz. I have used these a few times. Really better than I expected. Good cut up in split pea soup. Also with cheese and instant potatoes. Similarly, I have taken Vienna Sausages a few times which are better than SPAM but you have to deal with the can and the water has not been taken out, so they are heavier for the same calories. I have also tried potted meat. Not my favoirite, but OK on a tortilla if really hungry.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Spam-di-spam, wonderful spam, spam-di-spam, wonderful spam.

I used to eat Dak chopped ham, which is similar to SPAM, as a kid camping with my grandfather, but the few times I've had SPAM, it's just been way to salty.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not think the current SPAM is as salty as it was in the past. You can also get it in a reduced fat version, which is less greasy. You may want to give it a try.

Since I cook from scratch, I do not have to deal with over-salted FD meals or "sides". Definitely, if you add SPAM to one of those, the end result would be too much salt. A little SPAM goes a long ways- I only use half a packet for each meal. SPAM and tuna packets weigh about the same. If you need more calories, SPAM is better; if you need more protein, tuna is better. I usually do not take tuna since I fish and the SPAM is a taste break from fish.

I am also of the generation that grew up on SPAM. It really was popular at that time. However, back in the day, our go-to backpacking "meat" was a huge chunk of pemican or a can of sardines.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Funny topic as when sick last week I had a desire for some comfort food. Mac and Cheese with spam with bacon in it. Really much better than plain spam. Prefried it before adding to mac and cheese to make it a little crispy and improve the texture. Unfortunately I have an aversion to carrying cans so I don't include it when backpacking. Might look at the packets as the foil can be reduced significantly by burning out if you can have a fire, but that also requires sifting thru ashes as I always do after having a campfire.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Wandering Daisy wrote:SPAM in small packets
X2
I love it with grits in the morning.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Never used it backpacking due to the weight, but in Boy Scouts we used to take it on long canoe camping trips on coastal plains rivers where we could afford the weight. We typically sliced it and fried it up with fresh scrambled eggs or bream (fish) or all three. That was some good eating for being way out in a swamp.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

TahoeJeff wrote:
Wandering Daisy wrote:SPAM in small packets
X2
I love it with grits in the morning.
Holy cow, someone else out here in the west who knows what grits are! :clapper :lmao \:D/
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

It's good in pasta!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I take it with me often. I carry the Spam singles and split one down the middle. I put it on a tortilla with a piece of cheese and mustard. Awesome Stuff!! It's even better if I take the time to fry it a little.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray