Thor Peak - July 4, 2007

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Thor Peak - July 4, 2007

Post by tomcat_rc »

Independence Day - Snow Nymph and I summited Thor. we decided on a class III variation from Girl Scout Lake. this route is near the Smiley Face route but instead climbs the class III blocks to the west. we descended via the SE colour. route finding not an issue on descent - we followed Bob R.'s tracks from a few days previous

Saturday - Rachel and I only had 1/2 day to hike so we agreed Thor was an easy choice to both grab a peak and get out of the heat. trip seems to be fated from the start. late getting out of town and late getting through the permit office - well after 9 by the time we reach Portal - still plenty of time to summit and make it back to Ridgecrest by 6. after visiting with Doug and company for a few I went to put on boots. found out I had grabbed two left boots. I debated climbing in sandals but decided this would not be good for class III rock. was able to borrow a pair of boots but ..... they were very stiff heavy mountaineering boots. these boots weighed more than my pack and had absolutely zero flexability - I felt like Frankenstein when I started up the trail. ended up just going to the waterfall below LBSL for the day - the sun was incredibly hot and by this time my attitude was not the best. had a beer at Doug's and we started down the road to Lone Pine.

http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/3112261#P-1-15]

now we know why they call these rocks the "cat ears"
Last edited by tomcat_rc on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moondust »

Well, now we know you must be a decent dancer because you don't have two left feet :D

Very nice photo report. It shows the route very well. Sorry I had to miss the trip - my back is feeling much better now.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

one thing I found out - two lefts don't make a right
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

I really enjoyed your TR and photos (I'm beginning to think I need to quit work and get into the mountains while I can).

Nice contingency with the boots; must've felt weird with those clunkers on when you're used to light hikers.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

thanks Shawn -

Saturday I kept signing "Iron Man" while walking about.
hind site I wish I had just gone up in the Tevas - but then again I don't even like trail runners when I need the ankle support.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

Looks like you two had a great day! :)
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Tom beautiful pictures! The columbine are gorgeous!
I got a good laugh about your two left boots :lol: :eek: At least you had someting to put on your two feets :D