Tramuntana backpack; Mallorca

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tramuntana backpack; Mallorca

Post by edhyatt »

Avoiding the festive season....

Paying now for romping along the PCT in the name of research; three months at a desk doing analysis….and not enough exercise. Mallorca hurts the unfit.

The Bar Mavi serves up a fine breakfast as the dark skies and drizzle are contemplated….

A brief cessation and one wends one’s way along to the bus station and a trip to Es Capdella….

Yet another variant of the GR221 kicks along from here, not that I will follow it for long. This route is planned around water….which can be hard at this time of year….but I think I have cracked it this time. I have not of course.

Ere long Puig Galatzo hoves into view; not this time, it marks the western boundary of my little jaunt – I’m heading east.

The sun makes a brief cameo appearance, but will sadly confound forecasts and be overwhelmed soonest.

I take lunch (the de rigeur gristle pie) at an out-of-season hotel and spa. Spa indeed, it starts to p*ss down, thalassotherapy in practice…never has my skin felt so soft…

Brazenly as I ever I scoot past this….

…and am then stopped at a gate where a nice zoo keeper explains that while she would let me through the 3m high chain link fence that bounds this private zoo will not; she explains an alternate way to trespass on their property.

Now it begins to rain in earnest. That soft drizzle that slowly soaks you…creeping into every fold; does this deter me from trying an off-trail alternate, pah, no….I enjoy retracing my steps having flailed (and failed) through impassable ground for half an hour. Thoroughly wet now.

Galatzo is wreathed in cloud.

Yeah well, someone has to.

The dank forest is a little unsettling…mossy and stony, the odour of leaf mould released by the rain permeates the trail.

I know that once I stop life will suck, as a wet me will soon have to put up a soon-wet tent. A need to snatch a pyrrhic victory from the day pushes me on to the Pas de sa Rata, a scramble up onto the Planicia escarpment.

And of course the font that should flow does not. But the rain is a blessing….and a litre of filter-stopper orange gunk is collected from a path-generated rivulet. Deep joy.

Normally benign polished limestone with winter moss and wet is not so much fun.

Concentration ensues.

Balance in solitude.

I’m cold having misjudged the conditions; an extra synthetic insulation layer should have been carried; ah well.

Hey, I get to pitch in a dank forest anyway.

I knew there were Sitjas up here; these old platforms were once cylindrical storage for grains, although here more often used (so I believe) for charcoal burning. Charcoal making may have been introduced by the Romans originally, but it was the Moors from the 10th century that made it more widespread and with a connecting path network – these paths form many of the trails on Mallorca.

The platforms that remain are mostly clear of vegetation and have accumulated moss and earth so are quite good tent bases; but take some ti stakes - they are built from rock.

I’ve pushed the envelope of daylight here…and all-too-soon the night encroaches. Tis a tad spooky…

I take a while to heat up; especially my feet…but my heart is warmed by the delightful tale of The Christmas Prince, a Netflix classic….

The morn. Dank, cold, and drippy. The delight of putting on yesterdays wet clothes awaits….

Coffee helps. Decant my vile mix of powders (lifted by the addition of cacao) into my slosh pot and I am ready to leave the cocoon. No butterfly this, a damp little goblin who travels at speed for the first couple of kms; which works, I warm up and dry out. Well, apart from the fizzing socks and shoes…ferementation in practice.

I’ve always liked the forest on this side of the island, especially early morn as the sunlight slants through and the day picks up – quite the contrast with their austere, dark gloominess of yesterday.

The morning sun on the escarpment is great and almost warm; one tarries to drink breakfast.

Sadly, however, the rain again sweeps in just after I leave Esporles; it is another wet trudge through forbidden ground to Valldemossa (a route I’ve done a number of times). Warm and wet this time though.

I reach the intended campsite before 15.00…but the decision to move-on was made some time back, to push on to Valldemossa and stay there; 13 hours in a tent is bad enough…15 cannot be contemplated. Moral fibre; lacking.

Sanctuary.

Repast of the variety tasty.

Repeat. Ad infinitum.

A different breakfast.

But it is off the bus and straight into the rain…again. Bah.

The forest up from Valldemossa affords covers but uphill in a waterproof sucks, yet I am heading for hotel sanctuary again, so swap out for a quickly wetted-out windproof. This section has been done before, but down to Deia not so – it looks promising but not on this day with blown drizzle and cloud and a skating rink of wet polished limestone.

Cessation of the deluge at the rather-too-twee Deia.

Up into those clouds; I am heading for another scramble, the Pas d’en Marc.

Up on well-marked paths to a font and the then somewhat elusive start of the traverse to the Pas.

Yeah, well…normally I’d be the first to decry such rock vandalism…but on Mallorca, occasion demands any help you can get….

A great traverse through scrub pine and abandoned olive trees leads to this little helper…

But the line gets drawn at this wet and slippy downward traverse; the plastic coated cable and slimy rock offering little purchase, with major damage a reward for carelessness.

I don’t spend more than ten minutes mentally wrestling with turning back; dammit. Eventually I can flick it away.

Custard comfort.

The slap in the face is that descent is necessary to regain the longer path to the same point; double dammit. Although as compensation I drop into a vast area of ancient workings with plenty of camping potential for the future; noted.

Ere long the path points up, heading for the Puig Des Moro and a descent to Soller.

It is steep and as I will put around 1700m of ascent into my ‘desk legs’ today it is beginning to bite.

There is even the reward of some weak sun as I pull onto the summit ridge; man it is super rough up here. Cairn spotting concentration required to keep vaguely on track.

There are several navigational clues in this shot; good luck with that.

More clarity in direction ensues.

A tad of scrumping never goes amiss…hey, I already have trespass under my belt on this trip….with more to come tomorrow morning.

The lovely Hotel El Guia has changed ownership and now opens for more of the year; newly renovated it is delightful – welcomed with a glass of wine….this can’t be bad.

This can be.

This can’t.

I’ve done the mega-climb up to the Alfabia Ridge a few times (and in descent); today I choose the option of grabbing a cab up to the Col de Soller and then trespassing a touch to take the direct scramble of the Pas de Can Topa onto the ridge.

It is a straightforward easy line with a little exposure; but dry today, which is a boon.

The ridge is fine, and one climbs gently over the road to the military communications towers then on old Sitja link paths to the summit of Puig de Alfabia.

Clues are available.

Once up onto the main ridge, which is largely pathless and rough for 3-4 kms life does one a favour by adding complexity….

I love it up here.

This is the fifth time I have done this ridge….heralded as the hardest walk in Mallorca – oh no siree, not by a long way. But it is enough that’s for sure, and on a clear day is a stupendous trip out.

Towards the mid-point the sun makes a return and maintains a watery presence for the rest of the day. At the Col de sa Poma it is time to head off in search of water.

Which is happily plentiful

The walk up to the Col des Gats with a pack that weighs 3kg more is not so jolly.

As we can tell….

I have an hour and a bit of daylight to play with and like to camp high; had I only known how much the wind was going to pick up.

Early evening excursions are necessary to secure the tent…as it blows hard all night.

Its all a bit daunting.

After watching a film I am pretty confident the tent will stay up, so in with the (very necessary) earplugs; I sleep pretty well.

Still blowing a holie in the morning. I’ve spent a warm and comfortable night but once the earplugs come out the tent noise is quite something.

I try a posh pork and beans breakfast ( a dehydrated special); yuk. Fall back on my powders and slosh-pot.

Last nights mists are still swirling as I wander up to the 1086m summit of Sa Rateta.

Still leg-breaker territory.

I’ve not been quite this way before and the old mule track that links the ancient snow caves is great; the caves themselves are super deep….one even has a bijoux snow remnant, making its case.

Later that night I will eat one of these three…

I’m pretty much done though; the last few days have kicked my unprepared legs around and it is only my pre-knowledge of the island and its paths that have helped me thus far.

At Cuber reservoir I stick out a thumb and the second car transports me to the Sanctuari de Lluc, a bed, warmth, food, and the smallest bath ever beheld by man.

As is my wont, and in a totally non-religious way I light a candle for those we love who have passed.

Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Tramuntana backpack; Mallorca

Post by Timberline »

Maravilloso! Feliz Año Nuevo!
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wonderful stuff! Did you learn to speak any Mallorquin?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

No, just Spanish, courtesy of my Peace Corps service in Central America. And I got to do some trekking "out on the edge" there, too. Hiked the Isthmus, Pacific to Atlantic (well, Caribbean, so almost) in 1967. Anyway, I sure enjoyed your unique trip report. What a fascinating place, Mallorca, sí? Thanks a lot for that post!
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Such an amazing report. Who could ask for more. A beautiful island, terrific scenery, fantastic hiking and the wonderful photos. Thanks for taking us there!

And the FOOD !!!
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks chaps.

I have acquired sufficient Mallorquin to ask for cakes :yummy:

Very easy to get to from the UK, and legs willing I will head back in the Spring for this....