TR: Humphreys Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Humphreys Basin

Post by LMBSGV »

This is one of my typical narratives of opinionated observations cobbled together from pages and pages of notes on a trip to Humphreys Basin last August. The photos are my favorites from the trip.

The trip report is here:

http://laurencebrauer.com/Images/Humphr ... st2017.pdf

The photos are here at the top of the page. Click on the thumbnail for a larger version.

http://laurencebrauer.com/ASITHSTripReports.html

Thanks for visiting my website.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Humphreys Basin

Post by maverick »

Really enjoyed your TR Lawrence, and hope your recovery is going well!
It was a wise choice to stick with HB, it offers plenty of things to do, for days. Enjoyed the photo's, especially the Tomahawk Lake Sunrise (3). :nod:
I could see you had a lot of cloud play in HB for photography, did you shoot any b&w, to show off the mood/drama of the storms?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Very nice TR Laurence.. :thumbsup: Next year, I'm back there..
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Russ, have a great trip next year.

Mav, the Tomahawk Lake Sunrise (3) is a personal favorite and I'll probably do a notecard. I didn’t even think about black and white versions of the clouds. For some reason, I simply cannot visualize the black and white print when I contemplate a photo. Since I admire and am hugely influenced by the black and white masters such as Adams, Weston, Cartier-Bresson, etc., and have longed used a Leica M, it’s especially odd. When I was shooting only film, I tried shooting in black-and-white and the photos were awful: the composition might be okay, but the end result was bereft of personality. I could not visualize the print when I shot in black and white while I almost always see the print with color. A few times for black-and-white publications, I’ve converted a color photo to black and white in Photoshop and it came out okay, though to my eyes still missing something essential.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Thank you Laurence for a wonderful trail report and gorgeous photos. One of the best I've read in awhile and I like your style of telling the story. Kudos to you sir and I wish you more fine adventures!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I enjoyed reading your post.

I too am worried every time I make a first day climb with a backpack on that I am no longer able to backpack, but each time it seems to work its way out.
In general though, I don't enjoy any first days very much.

You said you did 5 miles in 5 hours to get to Muriel Lake. Hey I think this is fine! That gets you into the basin and then you can do whatever you want , as you did.

As an aside, I was in Humphreys Basin in 2015, and skipped 2016 and 2017. But I plan to be there in 2018. And I plan to do a very modest trip, also hit Muriel Lake the first day, but then just do a lot of short backpacks and dayhikes dotting north Glacier Divide, eventually getting to Pinnacles Creek. And the whole thing I could in my youth do in 3-4 days. Now.. I have scoped out a trip.. and plan to take 10-11 days to do it. To me getting older doesn't mean I don't do the things I once did.. it just means I have to take my time about it.. and you know what? It is better this way anyway!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Laurence welcome to the backpacking world of semi base camping. That is versus the usual backpacker mind set of several days of being on a route or trail much of each day. HB is one of the best zones in the Sierra Nevada to do such because there are a number of excellent locations short distances from others to set up at where one can easily spend a content week. I especially like all the pocket basins on the north side of Glacier Divide. The result is one has much more time to get to know each zone leisurely exploring about just like you did at Tomahawk.

On my trip below 4 weeks later in August there were still many areas yet peaking with wildflowers and far less mosquitoes. I will recommend anyone considering such to also spend the first day camping in upper NF Bishop Creek, instead of immediately going over the pass as the canyon is especially scenic with fine morning light and areas of more colorful metamorphic rock.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-17.html

David