Pine Creek and Tungsten Mining

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pine Creek and Tungsten Mining

Post by rlown »

Thought this was interesting..

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="1333" height="687" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5BSDrocE6u4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Pine Creek and Tungsten Mining

Post by austex »

WOW thx. I never knew how big an operation it was.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

That was awesome thank you!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Very educational. My impression is that this mine no longer operates. Is that true? If so, when did it shut down?
-Phil
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Very interesting. Thanks! Still used in drill bits. Disappearing in light bulbs. The Pentagon has been looking at tungsten for use in a kinetic energy warhead. It's so hard and has such a high melting temperature that a tungsten rod launched on an ICBM could hit a target with as much (kinetic) energy as a small nuke, yet leave no radioactive fallout. The warhead nickname is The Rod of God.
Last edited by Tom_H on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

wildhiker wrote:Very educational. My impression is that this mine no longer operates. Is that true? If so, when did it shut down?
-Phil
PINE CREEK MINE
The Pine Creek mine began its history in the early 1900s when tungsten was discovered high on the flank of Wheeler Ridge, a few miles above Bishop. It wasn't mined on a large scale until the 1910s. This tungsten mine was one of the major producers in the United States through WWII. The mine continued its operation through the 1990s and the mill ceased production in 2000. However, the mill is set and ready to go back into production should the need for tungsten or the prices rise.
http://www.ripleysghosttowns.com/pinecreekmine.html
Mountainman who swims with trout
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

There is a pretty long thread about the mine over on the Rock Creek site so I shared the video link there as well. Some of you might be interested in some of the history and pictures so here is a link.

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=55.0
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Good stuff. Doing the north Italy Pass loop (JMT, up Mono Creek, etc.) involves a few miles walk down the old mining road (bulldozer crushed talus) and through the mine. Did that in the 70's when the mine was operating. The flat areas below the mine (the filled in flat areas seen in this photo below) used to be leach ponds with odd greenish colorings. I imagine those areas are well contaminated with various chemicals.
IMG_1919r.jpg
I do wish they would remove the old rusting debris near the trails and rock climbing area.

The geology of that general area is pretty cool with all the criss-crossing dikes and veins.
IMG_1887r.jpg
IMG_1901r.jpg
IMG_1907r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The video in the first post seems to be gone from Youtube. I found this one - likely the same thing?

I had no idea about the scale of that mine and where the actual action takes place (2.5 miles in and a mile up from the entrance inside the mountain)