Planning on building, buying, selling a structure in CA?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Planning on building, buying, selling a structure in CA?

Post by hikerduane »

This may affect your plans, life. http://www.fire.ca.gov/wildland.php

Wildland fire map of CA. Has some affect on 56 of 58 CA counties I guess. How will it affect you? Higher insurance if you can obtain it is possible, stricter building codes. Public hearings have been going on. My computer is a little slow, so I didn't view the maps of my local area. My local County Supervisor passed this along to me.
Piece of cake.
mountaincat
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaincat »

The cost of fires on life and property is very high, so having regulations to safeguard against fires is long overdue in this state. In my opinion, some locations should not have houses due to the fire danger (like in steep canyons), but houses are cropping up everywhere in this state. All the hillsides in California are pretty much a fire zone, and the chaparral which grows on the hillsides is a fire tolerant type plant community. It grows and thrives after fires. Building on such hillsides is kind of like playing with fire. Fire will come, it's a part of the cycle of things in the west. Those who build where fires tend to burn are playing a game of chance.

Such laws to control the rampant growth in fire zones is long overdue.
Nature beckons, and I must answer

http://sierra-nevada-ramblings.blogspot.com/
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I don't know if it is all the same, but up north here, they are talking about the length of a driveway, not how far a house sets from the road on whether a fire dept. would respond to a fire or something like that. Not up on that subject. Lots of discussion. It should be up to the building dept. on where a house should be located. We pay enough taxes as it is.
Piece of cake.