smartphone charging on long through hikes (JMT)

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: smartphone charging on long through hikes (JMT)

Post by rayfound »

The thermoelectric effect is so weak, pretty much all reviews on these devices is that they are near useless.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

franklin 411- I disagree that "any" P&S camera takes better pictures than an I phone. I have pretty good P&S with options to shoot manually, and my husband's I-phone6 actually takes better photos, unless you shoot in unusual lighting conditions. Additonally, he can upload to the cloud.

The concept of "one-devise that does all" is very appealing. When they get to the point of being lighter and having longer battery life, I will likley go that way. In the meantime, the reason I take a camera (no GPS, PLB or I-phone) is weight and battery life. I have my husbands old I-phone5 which does not take as good photos. My camera weighs 7 oz and will go for 10 days on the original battery (that is over 250 photos). I take ane extra battery (very small and light) on longer trips. I do not use other eletronic devices, other than my 1oz I-pod shuffle. I take a small key-chain light or a solar light (the small Luci). I take no extra batteries, becuause none of my electronic devices are absolutely necessary - nice to have but I can do without in a pinch.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I saw plenty of solar chargers dangling from packs along the PCT/JMT in mid Aug this year. Truthfully though, there's really no need for a GPS. The trail is pretty obvious and generally has good signage. A compass and mapset like the Tom Harrison JMT set is adequate. I carried a Garmin Inreach this year because it's the deal I make with my wife that allows me to go solo (prior to the Garmin I used a Spot and/or satellite phone). I turned it on once or twice a day to text my location and a few messages but I never used the GPS map function. The battery was still above 75% when I finished. I also carried a Canon SX410 zoom P&S with a few additional charged 1200 mA batteries.
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I use the Suntastic unit for several trips including a couple of JMT trips. I put a 2 inch wide strip of loop velcro under the unit. I sewed a 2 inch strip of hook velcro on the lid of my pack. I charge my steripens, iPhones and camera. I use it on any sunny day above the tree line. Works great. I now use Gaia GPS on my iPhone instead of GPS. I have it also loaded on my wife's iPhone so we have backup. I keep the phone plugged in while in a front shoulder strap mounted pouch. The cable runs up the the solar charger on the lid. The phones get charged every day. The Steripens need charging about every 5-7 days depending on use.

https://www.amazon.com/Suntactics-Ultra ... =suntaskic
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I agree about not needing GPS on the JMT. My last 2 trips have involved 3 - 4 days of hiking away from trails over wild passes. I found the Gaia GPS map and location detail extremely useful when route finding. Just got back for the Lake Loop GPS route in the Ruby Mountains.
Jeff
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A cellphone during camera or video use will drain a lot more battery power than a similar compact digital camera. Thus better to bring a compact digital with its own spare batteries and use your cell phone sparingly for essential tasks only, turning it off otherwise. The notion of putting a cellphone into airplane mode in order to receive phone calls is unwise. If someone want to occasionally call, tell them to do so during a limited period in the evening, say after sunset while otherwise powering off. Will also recommend a hefty lithium ion power battery with USB ports versus solar cells.

I carried 16 each NP-FW50 batteries for my Sony A6000 camera over the 9-day backpack I returned from last week into Humphreys Basin and used all but the last one. Also a 7.4 ounce 5000 ma-hour Lithium ion battery with USB ports to charge my Sandisk Sansa Clip+ MP3 player and moto g cellphone that I probably just used 1/3 of.

David