x3878 in John Muir Wilderness (Cottonwood Lks)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

x3878 in John Muir Wilderness (Cottonwood Lks)

Post by JosiahSpurr »

There doesn't seem to be any info about peak x3878 here... I Googled and got:
Your search - site:highsierratopix.com x3878 - did not match any documents.

Where do I post TR's about peaks under 13,000 feet?

I climbed it last Saturday. Wow! The views are great, both up to Mt. Langley and towards Cottonwood Lakes. There's a 1,000 foot drop-off to the North that's a different kinda view.

I was thinking there may be a way from the Woolyback (12,840') to Mt. Langley. Like Cam, the director at Golden Trout Encampment (Thatcher School, Ojai, CA) once told me, "yeah, if you don't mind climbing class 5 without a rope." He was right. Although the topo lines look fairly smooth, there's a big drop off from x3878 down to the "pass" just up and to the right from Cottonwood lake #6 (not numbered on topo). I need to learn more rappelling.

I needed to descend. From looking down over the Lake #6 pass, I went down and downhill (to the Left) and almost got hung-up on some ledges. To get off of x3878 one would need to re-trace the route of ascent unless one had a not-too-long rope for rappel. No pics, sorry.

Warmly, Robert C.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: x3878 in John Muir Wilderness (Cottonwood Lks)

Post by maverick »

Where do I post TR's about peaks under 13,000 feet?
This forum. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Re: x3878 in John Muir Wilderness (Cottonwood Lks)

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Here is a view of the north side of the peak taken from the Mt. Langley ridge between Diaz and Tuttle creeks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.