Josephine Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Josephine Lake

Post by wildhiker »

Hi WD,

Don't know if you still are looking for advice about mosquitoes in Deadman/Cloud Canyons. I went up and back the length of Deadman Canyon Sept 1-3. Mosquitoes were not much of a problem. During the day, in damper forest, a few would try to land on you if you stopped hiking. I camped at 9300 feet (highest trees) and had a few bite me around dusk. Surprisingly, I took a long lunch break at the north end of Ranger Meadow and saw not a single mosquito. My weather was warm and partly cloudy - raining most of the afternoon on 9/3.

-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the information. I still plan on going, leaving tomorrow or Wed. I am waiting for this current rainy spell to end. As usual, I have about five different ways to do this trip and cannot decide between them.

The most logical loop from Road's End: Sphinx Lakes-Brewer Lakes-Colby Lake, Table Creek and descend Table Creek (or just day-hike to Table Creek from Colby Lake), Josehphine Lake the lakes on the west bench of Glacier Ridge, Big Bird Lake, and out Deadman-Avalanche Pass. However, carrying 10-days food up Sphinx Creek is brutal (I have done this route before). Reverse the loop and I get all trail the first 2-3 days, but then, have to descend the very tricky route from Josehphine Lake (Giantbrookie's reports show what an epic this can be as the route is difficult to find going down) and uncertainty with weather by the time I get to Sphinx Lakes may make that exit impossible (I would hate to have to do Avalanche Pass twice and I really hate that pass!).

Altogether different loop from Wolverton is also very appealing. In this route I may use Copper Mine Pass (this is the reason I asked about Copper Mine Pass). The down side of this route is that I would miss Sphinx and Brewer Lakes. I hesitate to consider going in Marvin Pass because although shorter and eaiser, it looks very boring on the map. I have never done this trail.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: I hesitate to consider going in Marvin Pass because although shorter and eaiser, it looks very boring on the map. I have never done this trail.
The Marvin Pass way isn't so bad. It's just long, hot, and sandy in places, though I understand horses don't complain too much.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Marvin Pass isn't too boring, you could make Mitchell Peak as a slight detour (if you haven't done it before), then drop through kayawaner (sp?) gap that leads back to Comache Meadow. You are right won't be the most thrilling of trails, but I like the look of Sugarloaf and coming into the Roaring River area on the West side
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

cslaght wrote:Marvin Pass isn't too boring, you could make Mitchell Peak as a slight detour (if you haven't done it before), then drop through kayawaner (sp?) gap that leads back to Comache Meadow. You are right won't be the most thrilling of trails, but I like the look of Sugarloaf and coming into the Roaring River area on the West side
That is a cool variation that I've taken a couple of times. To me, the sandy sections are like wearing a hair shirt. I guess it's because they seem to slow the pace. The country is scenic, though. Marvin Pass gets you to some scenic places in a hurry.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

If I went via Marvin Pass, it seems I would have to go out pretty much the same route. The other options are more true loops with less repeat miles.

Where is a traihead that can be accessed with a passenger car? Google Earth shows a parking lot at 8400 feet about 2.5 miles up the road from Horse Corral Meadow. Is that the best trailhead?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD,

Would recommend waiting till Thursday, when the monsoonal flow discontinues. Was out last week, had either heavy rain, hail, light snow, wet snow, and gusty winds on every day, this Tue has flash flooding potentials.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Yes, I probably will drive down Thursday, and if not raining, just go in far enough to be legal, otherwise car camp and leave Thursday. I worry a bit about getting a walk-in permit as the weekend gets closer, so want to get a permit on Wed. Bubbs Creek reserved permits are totally full.

I decided to go in Roads End and just biting the bullet and going up to Sphinx Lake first. I rather have a good trail to walk back on later, when I am not sure of the weather. But then, if at Sphinx Creek, the weather deteriorates, I will go in over Avalance Pass. Years ago I hiked from Roads End to Roaring Fork in a day, with a 12 day trip pack. I am too old for that kind of punishment now!

But I have been known to change plans last minute. I will be carrying Plan A, Plan B and Plan C with me.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

If doing Josephine and through Deadman, would it be plausible to go up to Tablelands (via Big Bird Lake) and move NW back toward Mt. Silliman and into the southern end of Jennie Lake? This would make it more of a loop. But not matter, it sounds like you will have a great hike.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

WD,

Have a great trip! Please take lots of photos documenting your route down to Cloud Canyon from Josephine Lake. I've long wanted to get there but plans keep changing.

Mike