Mt. Whitney 06-30-2007

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mt. Whitney 06-30-2007

Post by tomcat_rc »

finished up June with a bang

Saturday June 30

joined some friends from the Outdoors Club for a summit of Whitney. when they got there - they must have thought I looked like the "old man" of the group. this old man's advantage - having multiple summits via MR - I knew the route like I know my cat's name. advantage #2 - this makes my 13th week in row at 10k ft and 5th week in a row at 13k feet(can you say aclimation baby) when it came time to leave East Face Lake - this old man was the first up to the notch.

when we summited with the "beach party" we took the route that leads to the right in the "final 400 chute" but everyone knew I was dying to go up my normal route to the left. finally got back up those blocks - this is just such a fun section.

everyone summited safely and returned safely
my 20th summit of Whitney was another day with perfect weather conditions

pictures:http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/3083322#168935586

mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Tom...Pretty pictures! I love the Sky Pilot....I sure hope I still get to see some this year..im afraid by the time I get down into the S. Sierra..they will be past their prime :crybaby:

Do you know how the guy that got hurt is doing?
Looks like a really nice adventure you all had..and great weather :)
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Tom, thanks for the trip report. I've never been up the MR, but it's on my "to do" list. Most of the times I've been up Whitney, it's been on an exit from the JM T. I've been up the Main a few times.

Actually, one of my younger sisters, her husband, and I tried the MR a couple years ago, but it wasn't successful. I fell at a stream crossing a ways past the ledges, hurt my back, and had to turn arround. My sister and her husband kept going, but lost the route when they were almost to the top and also had to turn arround.

We had printed a lot of pictures, talked to a lot of people, and had the written reports. All of these tools helped, but at the very end it got a little confusing.

I found it interesting that you went back DOWN the MR. I guess I assumed most people going up the MR exit via the MT. We had planned that... only just to save our knees. :\

She and I are planning on trying it again, but we've decided we definately want to go with someone who knows the trail. If not this summer, then next. :)
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Hi Anita - I noticed yesterday that Polemonium is withering up quickly. you hafve to love a plant that wants to come to life above 12k feet.

yesterday on Thor - lots of Columbine blooming. I am having trouble getting my camera to download - hope my pictures are not corrupted. will try some more tonight when I get home.

Rosabella-

no matter how many times the MR is done it is always a tough hike. let us know the next time you want to try - taking someone who has been before helps - less wated time trying to route finding.

SnowNymph and I were talking yesterday while climbing Thor. with a group hike scheduled for when you come at the end of September something less aggressive should be scheduled for all to participate. However if you had multiple days ............

OBTW - we discussed Snow Crown as one possibility of that weekend(early hint for some)
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

How many miles rt for the MR? How do you get to go so many times? I can't remember, if you are doing a dayhike no lottery to go thru to get a day use permit, just walk in and get one? It sounds interesting, I would need people to get out of my way, sometimes they rest too much and cause me to get stiff, in the legs. You get your wind up and need to keep moving sometimes you know. But a group would also make me take needed rests and time to refuel. Thanks for the inspiration to do Whitney again. Sometime?
Piece of cake.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Tom, I've never been up Snow Crown, but it sounds GREAT to me!! I'm just so excited about the possibility of going on one of the HST group trips!!! :nod:

I don't think I'll be able to take too much extra time.... I'm doing the wedding cakes for both these weddings, so I'll have to be back by mid-week to start baking for the 2nd wedding. I think the time-frame that I've got to work with is arrive (somewhere?) on Friday Sept. 28th - Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to play - then return on Tusday, Oct. 2nd. I Hope that will work.

Looking forward to this trip!!!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Tom, since I'm planning on doing the MR this weekend, I went back and reviewed your great photos. Two questions.

The "California's 14ers" authors advise heading up on the left (south) side of Lone Pine Creek, saying that the trail on the right fades out. But you think the right side is better?

In the "final 400" how does the right side of the chute (the "beach party" side) compare with the left?
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Hi Larry -
many of us including Snow Nymph and myself have been going up the north side of the LP creek for several years. I have done that trail enough times including in the dark. if it is your first time do what is comfortable - some people use a pre-summit day hike to explore up as for as the ledges and back.

as far as the final 400 - well I just like the left hand rock - something about the blocks just turn me on as opposed to the crossover route - plus I never have to worry about the roped guided clients getting in the way.

have a great hike
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks Tom. I'm hoping to do this as a backpack at UBSL, so I can do Russell and the MR on successive days. So the first day in I guess I'll have plenty of time to get lost around LP Creek.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

are you going in Friday or Saturday -
doing Russell Saturday?

I still need a Russell summit for the year