Boundary Peak, not Dubois

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Boundary Peak, not Dubois

Post by langenbacher »

I was going to climb Dubois June 23, but just climbed Boundary Peak instead. Pictures are at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559632210CMDakz

I also explored canyons on both sides of the northern White Mountains, with my friend in Benton. There's a new road for the approach to Mt. Dubois from the east - put in by land developers, it makes for a much smoother ride for the 1st few miles off the highway - see the above pictures for a map and photos. On the west side we explored Morris Creek Canyon, which approaches Boundary Pk. - it was pretty, but a real slow bushwack. Also visited an abandoned apple orchard at Orchard Spring.

I hate to climb XC alone, which is why I skipped Dubois and Montgomery, but I was not alone on Boundary. Ten other people and a dog made it to the Nevada high point that day. I made the summit in 2.5 hours, rested on top for 1.5 hours, and took 1.5 hours to get down, jogging on the flat part. It was a nice peak, but I want to go back to Montgomery for better views, and also back to get Dubois, the 2nd highest of the White's.

After hiking Boundary, I drove a rough section of road down from Queen Canyon saddle to Trail Canyon, but I definitely recommend against it. Trail Canyon and the road out to the east were nice.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hi Harry,

I enjoyed your pictures (seems your smile gets wider with elevation ;) ).
Looks like a busy day on Boundary but some nice people to compare notes with.

Shawn
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

great day on the mountain and good photos -
I still need to get back and do Montgomery - also want to bag Dubois also
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Harry...Wonderful pictures! Looks like you sure had a good day!
It is a such a beautiful high and barren place..I loved it there :nod: